The 138 kV Kilgore Substation Project is proposed to serve new load in the Baytown/Mont Belvieu area. The area is highly industrialized with several chemical facilities and is experiencing a significant distribution load increase with multiple new commercial and residential developments. It is forecasted to have an approximate 25% load growth between 2021 and 2026. The new transmission line and the Kilgore Distribution substation will supply part of this increase in distribution load.
August 30, 2023
Application filed with the Public Utility Commission of Texas
CenterPoint Energy, Houston Electric (CEHE) filed an application with the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUC) on August 30, 2023, to amend its Certificate of Convenience and Necessity (CCN) for the 138 kV Kilgore Substation Project. The application includes 20 alternative routes that range from approximately 2.27 to 5.66 miles. The route order is numerical and does not signify any preference on CEHE’s part as to which route is ultimately approved.
In the application, CEHE and our routing consultant, HALFF identified Route 10 (consisting of segments A2-B3-C5-D5-E5-I3-I2-K4-N31-N33) as the route that best addresses the PUC’s routing criteria. CEHE and HALFF based this on Route 10 being the third shortest route, affects 39 habitable structures within 300 feet of the centerline of the project of which 30 are industrial/commercial buildings, crossed no parks or recreational areas, has the least stream crossings, crossed no archeological sites and a high percentage of the route parallels existing ROW and property lines.
All routes, route segments and substation sites included in the application are available for selection and approval by the PUC. The deadline for intervention in PUC docket No. 55365 is September 29, 2023. The PUC will have 180 days to approve a route.
Below is the application that was filed with the PUC. You may also find the filing on the PUC’s website at
Interchange - Filings (texas.gov)
CCN Application Documents (Docket #55365)
- Kilgore Substation CCN Application filed with the PUC
- Attachment 1 - Environmental Assessment and Alternative Route Analysis for the 138 kV Kilgore Substation
- Appendix A - Agency and other correspondence
- Appendix B - Public Meeting Information
- Appendix C - Table 4-1 Environmental and Land Use Data for the Proposed Alternative Routes
- Appendix C - Tables 4-2 through 4-6
- Appendix D - Kilgore Substation Fig 4-1 Constraints Map
- Attachment 2 - Franchise Agreement with Mont Belvieu and Baytown
- Attachment 3 - Cost Estimate
- Attachment 4 - New 138 kV Kilgore Substation Study
- Attachment 5 - Schematic of CenterPoint Energy's Existing Transmission System
- Attachment 6 - Directly affected Landowner list including habitable structures and landowner map
- Attachment 6 - Directly affected landowner map
- Attachment 7 - Written Direct Notice to Landowners
- Attachment 8 - Written Direct Notice to Electric Utilities located within five miles
- Attachment 9 - Written Direct Notice to pipeline owners paralled or crossed
- Attachment 10 - Written Direct Notice to County and Municipal Authorities and List of officials notified
- Attachment 11 - Written Direct Notice to the Office of Public Utility Counsel
- Attachment 12 - Written Direct Notice to the Department of Defense Military Aviation and Installation Assurance Siting Clearinghouse
- Attachment 13 - Newspaper Notices
- Attachment 14 - Transmittal Letter to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
- Attachment 15 - Affidavit of Bradley J. Diehl
October 13, 2022
Baytown Community Center
2407 Market Street
Baytown, TX 77520
Time: 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
CenterPoint Energy will host a public meeting to share information as well as gather input from the public on the yet-to-be-determined route of a proposed 138 kV transmission line in northwestern Chambers County that will improve the electric reliability of the distribution system in the Mont Belvieu-Baytown Area and serve projected load growth. Representatives from CenterPoint Energy and our routing consultant, Halff Associates will be able to answer questions and discuss the project.
The proposed construction includes a new 138 kV double-circuit transmission line between an existing CenterPoint Energy transmission line located in northwestern Chambers County to one of the three proposed Kilgore Substation sites. The information gathered will be used to help formulate alternate routes for consideration by the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
Frequently asked questions