CenterPoint Energy Responding to COVID-19
Updated March 30, 2020
We will get through this together
We continue to support our customers and communities during this challenging time, working every day to deliver safe, reliable energy.
- Our work crews are staffed and responding to service calls and following social distancing guidelines to keep people safe.
- If one of our employees needs to enter your home or business to complete their work, they will explain the work to be done, ask your permission to enter, and take the necessary precautions to protect your family, home or business and themselves.
- We are here for you if you need help. To learn about payment assistance, setting up a payment arrangement, or asking for an extension, see the Payment Assistance and Contact Us links on this page.
- During times like these, scammers might contact you and ask for a utility payment, so we remind you that CenterPoint Energy would never call and demand payment over the phone or by prepaid debit card.
- Since more people are staying home, you might see your energy use rise. For help managing your use, see the link on this page to view our Energy Savings Tips.
We remain in close consultation with appropriate governmental and other entities and will adjust our response as guidelines and circumstances may require. See below for more measures we are taking to protect our employees and customers.
We are committed to your health and safety as we deliver energy, service and value
CenterPoint Energy’s mission is to deliver energy, service and value to our customers, who are at the center of everything we do. We care about you, our communities and our employees. In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have activated our Pandemic Preparedness Plan to help ensure the safe, reliable delivery of energy and service to homes and businesses.
Helping ensure uninterrupted natural gas and electric service delivery
- We are working closely with regulatory, government and emergency management organizations across our service territory to stay updated on Coronavirus (COVID-19) news and alerts
- We support our customers who may need payment assistance, arrangements or extensions
- We have temporarily suspended natural gas service disconnections for nonpayment
- In southwest Indiana, this includes the temporary suspension of electric service disconnections
How we are protecting our customers from COVID-19
- We are keeping our workforce healthy by emphasizing good hygiene and frequently cleaning and disinfecting facilities and equipment
- We are taking extra precautions to schedule and execute safe service visits
- Efforts will be taken to resolve service issues without entering the home or building
- Employees are equipped with additional safety equipment to protect your home and those who live in it
- We will maintain a safe social distance and skip the handshakes for awhile
What you can do to help us serve you
- For our mutual protection, we will explain the work to be done and ask you some questions
- Please let us know if someone in the home has been sick or traveled to an impacted area
- Let us know if you are comfortable with our process or if you want to reschedule
- Use our self-service options to manage your account online, including paying your bill, making a payment arrangement or asking for an extension; sign up for service alerts
Our call center and technicians are staffed to serve you, and we are here for you if you need help. We thank you for your business and strive to live up to our brand promise to be “Always There” to help make your life more comfortable, productive and enjoyable, especially during times of challenge.