Our funding targets innovative, effective and measurable programs that enhance the quality of life within our communities and support the following giving pillars: Community Vitality and Education. Priority consideration is given to programs that serve low- to moderate-income families and under-represented populations. Consideration is also given to initiatives that focus on diversity and inclusion.
Key focus areas within the giving pillars include:
- Thriving Communities – Quality of Place and resident-led initiatives leading to vibrant neighborhoods, cities and states
- Affordable Housing – Initiatives leading to increased access to quality, affordable, and energy-efficient housing
- Environment – Energy Efficiency and conservation efforts as well as environmental education programs
- Quality Literacy Programs – Literacy and tutoring programs focused on early childhood through adult learners
- STEM Programs – STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education programs targeted to under-resourced areas and/or under-represented populations; Digital device access
- Workforce Development – Programs addressing needs of our communities; credentialing programs providing skills for living wage jobs
Other Charitable Giving Programs
The Community Relations staff administers the following charitable programs, which are detailed below. If approved for funding, all payments will be made electronically as outlined in more detail within the Foundation Charitable Giving Guidelines.
Easy Match (the company’s matching gifts program) furthers CenterPoint Energy’s charitable giving by matching employees’ personal donations dollar-for-dollar up to $5,000 per year to non-profit organizations or causes that are important to them. Matching gifts are made to eligible 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.
Volunteer Grants The Volunteer Grant program provides a grant to employees who volunteer 40 or more hours with a single non-profit in a calendar year.
Board Service Grants
The Board Service Grant program provides a grant to an eligible 501(c)(3) non-profit organization for employee board service.