Our funding targets innovative, effective and measurable programs that enhance the quality of life within our communities and support the following giving pillars: Community Vitality, Education, and Local Initiatives. Priority consideration is given to programs that serve low- to moderate-income families and under-represented populations. Consideration is also given to initiatives that focus on diversity and inclusion.
Key focus areas within the giving pillars include:
- Community Catalyst – Community Development initiatives leading to thriving neighborhoods, cities and states
- Affordable Housing – Initiatives leading to increased access to quality, affordable, and energy-efficient housing
- Safety and Environment – Ensuring our communities are safe and green
- Quality Literacy Programs – Early childhood through adult literacy and tutoring programs
- STEM Programs – STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education programs targeted to under-resourced areas and/or under-represented populations
- Workforce Development – Programs addressing needs of our communities
- Local Collaborations – Initiatives that enrich relationships and strengthen the communities in which we operate
Other Charitable Giving Programs
The Community Relations staff administers additional corporate charitable programs, which are detailed below.
United Way Corporate Contributions Corporate contributions are made to United Ways in communities where CenterPoint Energy has a business presence. Employees are also encouraged to make personal donations through our annual workplace campaign.
Easy Match (the company’s matching gifts program) furthers CenterPoint Energy’s charitable giving by matching employees’ personal donations dollar-for-dollar up to $5,000 per year to non-profit organizations or causes that are important to them. Matching gifts are made to eligible 501(c)(3) organizations.
Volunteer Grants The Volunteer Grant program provides a grant to employees who volunteer 40 or more hours with a single non-profit in a calendar year.