Diversity and Inclusion at CenterPoint Energy
All of us, Always There.
Delivering electricity and natural gas to millions of customers across our communities takes the energy of everyone in a diverse and inclusive environment where we respect, understand and appreciate each other, those we serve and the people around us.
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion to support our colleagues, customers, contractors, suppliers and community members, regardless of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, age, religion, or physical or mental disability, so they have an equal opportunity to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are core to who we are, what we do, and how we do it. We believe that diversity and inclusion are critical components of our long-term business strategy, serving as cornerstones of our service, performance and growth.
We strive to find ways, big and small, to appreciate the value in our differences. It is through the energy of many where we unlock the potential of our company and workforce while, at the same time, support our quest to learn better, listen better and do better every day.
CenterPoint Energy recognizes the economic importance of diverse suppliers, and all categories of small business concerns to the economies of the nation, the state and the communities it serves, as well as the corporation itself.
We seek opportunities to assist in the development and competitiveness of diverse business enterprises through:
- Participation in local, state, and national minority and women-owned business councils
- Sponsorship of various diversity tradeshows including the annual Houston Minority Business Council Expo, the annual Women's Business Enterprise Alliance Expo, the annual City of Houston Government Expo, Small Business Administration Expos and the Edison Electric Institute Diversity Expo.
- Sponsorship of networking events and educational workshops for diverse and prime (non-diverse) suppliers
- Scholarship to diverse suppliers through local diversity business councils and Edison Electric Institute
- Supplier mentoring
- Active second-tier business initiatives
In the true spirit of diversity, we work with groups from many different backgrounds, tailoring our relationship and our assistance to meet their needs whenever possible.
Our three main objectives are:
- Building relationships with the communities we serve and reaching out to our customers as a caring neighbor.
- Showing our commitment through corporate sponsorship of community events and by financial contributions to charities, civic organizations, educational programs and economic development initiatives.
- Actively promoting volunteer service among our employees and demonstrating as a team that we make a difference.
Each year, CenterPoint Energy employees contribute about 100,000 volunteer service hours. Community support is integral to who and what we are as a company.