St. Louis Park - Texas Avenue S. 2020 Belt Line Project
Scheduled Start Date: Spring 2020
CenterPoint Energy will be hosting an open house
An open house will be held at the City of St. Louis Park this winter. Representatives from CenterPoint Energy and the City of St. Louis Park will be present to answer questions. This web page will be updated closer to the date regarding the open house’s time and location.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?From spring to fall 2020, crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor will be replacing natural gas mains, connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains, and moving any inside residential meters to the outside of homes in Minneapolis. Construction will take place along the following roads:
- Texas Avenue S. between Wayzata Boulevard and Cedar Lake Road
- Cedar Lake Road between Texas Avenue S. and Virginia Avenue S.
- Virginia Avenue S. between Cedar Lake Road and 28th Street W.
- Texas Avenue S. between 28th Street W. and Minnetonka Boulevard
This project is a continuation of CenterPoint Energy’s Belt Line project in Minnesota, which began in 2012 and will continue until approximately 2022. The Belt Line system is a series of natural gas distribution mains along routes from Brooklyn Center to Bloomington and from Golden Valley to Minneapolis.
Construction will happen in four phases:
- Phase 1 consists of installing a new natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the individual customer gas service lines to the new gas distribution main. This may include service line replacement and relocating gas meters from inside the home to outside. (For more information on CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside,” please visit our web page here.) Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the new gas service line. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement.
- Phase 3 is replacing the existing main under the road in the same location.
- Phase 4 is the restoration of disturbed areas affected by our work outside the city construction zone—typically the boulevard, sidewalks and lawns. This work will be performed by CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting.
What are the anticipated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. If any closures are necessary, they will be minimized. More details will be added to this web page closer to the project’s start date.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on our Project Status page below. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
Please reference the project name or numbers 88519399 and 91937825 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.