St. Louis Park - Texas Avenue S. 2020 Belt Line Project
Scheduled Start Date: Week of May 18, 2020
CenterPoint Energy and the City of St. Louis Park hosted a virtual meeting
On Wednesday, May 6, beginning at 6:00 p.m., CenterPoint Energy and the City of St. Louis Park hosted a virtual WebEx meeting and answered questions about the project. Here is a copy of the PowerPoint presentation:
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?From May to fall 2020, crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractors will replace natural gas mains, connect natural gas service lines to the installed mains, move any inside residential meters to the outside of homes, and restore the areas affected by their work. Construction will take place along the following roads:
- Texas Avenue S. between Wayzata Boulevard and Cedar Lake Road
- Cedar Lake Road between Texas Avenue S. and Virginia Avenue S.
- Virginia Avenue S. between Cedar Lake Road and 28th Street W.
- Texas Avenue S. between 28th Street W. and Minnetonka Boulevard
This project is a continuation of CenterPoint Energy’s Belt Line project in Minnesota, which began in 2012 and will continue until approximately 2022. The Belt Line system is a series of natural gas distribution mains along routes from Brooklyn Center to Bloomington and from Golden Valley to Minneapolis.
Construction will happen in four phases:Phase 1: Week of May 18 to mid-summer:
This phase consists of installing the first of the project’s two mains with new modern materials. The installation will allow room for the second main, mentioned in Phase 3, to be installed. Two-way traffic will be maintained with a lane closure in this area. Phase 2: Late May to mid-summer:
The purpose of our flyer
is to advise that with customer permission, crews will now enter homes to complete necessary gas meter work. If you choose not to allow crews to enter your home, gas service will not be interrupted, and we will reschedule for a time better suited to concerns you may have. Crews will continue to replace service lines. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement and next to your home to complete the task of service line replacement. Phase 3: July or August to late fall:
This phase consists of replacing the second of the project’s mains. Crews will be working on one to two blocks at a time for one to two weeks per block. Phase 4:
Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by CenterPoint Energy’s work—typically the boulevard, sidewalks and lawns.
What are the anticipated traffic impacts during Phase 3?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties. The crews will be on site to help coordinate access.
- Texas Ave. S. and Wayzata Blvd.: From August 10 to 12, the crews will maintain eastbound traffic on Wayzata Boulevard and close westbound traffic. From August 12 to the end of August 2020, the crews will close eastbound and westbound traffic on Wayzata Boulevard at Texas Avenue S. During this time, detour routes will lead drivers to Cedar Lake Road, Louisiana Avenue, Laurel Avenue and Winnetka Avenue.
- Louisiana Ave. S. and 14th St. W.: In the weeks of August 10 and 17, the crews will alternate the closure of 14th Street W. from west of Louisiana Avenue S. to east of Louisiana Avenue S. Northbound and southbound traffic will be maintained on Louisiana Avenue S. during this time. Detour routes will lead drivers onto 16th Street W. through either Maryland or Kentucky Avenues S.
- Texas Ave. S. between Wayzata and Minnetonka Boulevards: For the majority of work on Texas Avenue S., there will be one-way traffic maintained heading southbound. The exception will be the full closure of Texas Avenue S. between Wayzata Boulevard and 13th Lane from August 12 to late August 2020.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. In the week of August 3, the crews will set up their equipment. In the week of August 10, one crew will begin Phase 3 at Texas Avenue S. and Wayzata Boulevard, working south. Later in August 2020, another crew will begin work at Texas Avenue S. and Minnetonka Boulevard, working north.
- Virginia Ave. S. south of Cedar Lake Road: In September for a limited time, the crews will close Virginia Avenue S. just south of Cedar Lake Road. More details will be posted closer to the closure's date.
- Restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
CenterPoint Energy's COVID-19 Protocol as of April 20, 2020
Installing replacement gas mains:
According to the Governor of Minnesota’s order
, gas main replacement is an essential work function. This allows for the modernization of related gas facilities. The gas main work requires excavations in various locations in the right-of-way (front yard) to facilitate the installation work. Connecting service lines to the new mains:
As social distancing practices and proper use of PPE, face masks and gloves have become normalized and as customers are willing to allow properly protected personnel into their homes to complete required work to modernize gas facilities, which is essential work, CenterPoint Energy authorized contractors will enter customer homes to complete work only with customer permission. Please see our flyer here:
The purpose of our flyer is to advise that with customer permission, crews will now enter homes to complete necessary gas meter work. If you choose not to allow crews to enter your home, gas service will not be interrupted, and we will reschedule for a time better suited to concerns you may have. Crews will continue to replace service lines. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement and next to your home to complete the task of service line replacement.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
Please reference the project name or numbers 88519399 and 91937825 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.