Natural gas is one of the safest and most reliable fuels available and rarely does a mechanical failure or storm interrupt its dependable delivery. CenterPoint Energy continually monitors our pipeline system to ensure safe and reliable delivery of natural gas to your home.
For your protection, we add an odorant to natural gas, so you can detect even the slightest amount of natural gas in the air. View our safety pages to learn the facts about natural gas to help keep you safe, such as what to do if you suspect a natural gas leak.
Physical properties of natural gas:
- Natural gas is colorless and odorless.
- Natural gas is primarily methane, with small amounts of other hydrocarbons.
- Natural gas is non-toxic.
- Natural gas is lighter than air; if it escapes, it will rise and dissipate.
- Natural gas is clean-burning; when burned with the proper amount of air, it produces heat, carbon dioxide and water vapor.
Information on energy pipelines
Digging smart, whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional
An association dedicated to ensuring public safety, environmental protection, and the integrity of services by promoting effective damage prevention practices