Project Status - Winnebago - 2nd Avenue NW Neighborhood
On Saturday, June 1, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, finished installing the natural gas mains for the first half of the project. During this week, the crews will begin connecting the natural gas service lines to these installed mains.
This week CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, began the natural gas main replacements for the first half of this project. The crews installed mains along selected streets between 4th Street NW and Main Street N. (Hwy 169). Currently the road contractor working for the City of Winnebago along 2nd Avenue NW from 2nd Street NW to Main Street N. CenterPoint Energy will coordinate with the city on when to install the natural gas main in this area.
In approximately one or two weeks, Michels Corporation will begin connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains. The connections will take several weeks.
The start date for the second half of the project will be determined between CenterPoint Energy and the city. The second half will take place along selected streets between 4th Street NW and 6th Street NW. It will involve CenterPoint Energy’s replacing natural gas mains and service lines, while the city will coordinate other utility replacements. More details will be posted closer to the project’s start date.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing an existing natural gas distribution main with modern materials in Winnebago and coordinating with the City of Winnebago. The project will occur in two parts. The first half will begin in the week of May 20 and last for approximately four weeks. It will involve Michels Corporation’s installing natural gas distribution mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains along selected streets between 4th St. NW and Main St. (Hwy 169). The city will be restoring the areas affected by construction.
The second half will involve Michels Corporation’s installing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains along selected streets between 4th St. NW and 6th St. NW. The start date for the second half is to be determined with the city.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please
click here to find out more about our project and
click here to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 81171652 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.