Project Status - Minneapolis - University Avenue SE
- By the end of this week or early into next week, crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will open University Avenue SE along the project route.
- By approximately Saturday, August 17, the crews will open Oak Street SE between 4th Street SE and University Avenue SE. By then the crews will have finished natural gas work and restoration. During this time the crews will also restore and open Ontario Street SE just south of University Avenue SE.
- Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, restored and opened the intersection of University Avenue SE and Oak Street SE.
- The crews are continuing to work in the lane heading south eastbound on University Avenue SE between Oak Street SE and Ontario Street SE. During this time drivers can’t turn right onto University Avenue SE from Ontario Street SE. The exception is that emergency vehicles will have access. The crews will be in this area into the week of August 12.
- The crews are working in one lane on Oak Street SE between 4th Street SE and University Avenue SE. The crews will be in this area into the week of August 12.
Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, plan to finish the majority of our work before the University of Minnesota’s orientation week. During the summer the traffic impacts will include the following:
- For most of the project, the crews will close a lane heading south eastbound on University Avenue SE between Oak Street SE and Ontario Street SE. During this time drivers can’t turn right onto University Avenue SE from Ontario Street SE. The exception is that emergency vehicles will have access.
- For about a week beginning approximately July 24, the crews will be working in one lane on University Avenue SE between 15th and 18th Avenues SE. After that the crews will cross University Avenue SE between 18th Avenue SE and Oak Street SE.
- From 7 p.m. on Friday, July 26 until 5 a.m. on Monday, July 29, the crews will close the two eastbound lanes of University Avenue SE at Oak Street SE. Drivers can still go north and south on Oak Street SE during this time.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis. Construction will take place along University Avenue SE between 16th and 23rd Avenues SE and along Oak Street SE between 4th Street SE and University Avenue SE.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction—typically the boulevard, lawn, sidewalk and road.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please
click here to find out more about our project and
click here to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 88725805 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.