Project Status - Minneapolis - 34th Avenue S. from Minnehaha Parkway to E. 58th Street
- Today on Monday, April 15, crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy's authorized contractor, have begun construction on CenterPoint Energy's 34th Avenue S. project. The crews will be installing natural gas main on 34th Avenue S. from E. 54th Street to E. 55th Street and then will progress north of E. 54th Street.
- Beginning on Monday, April 22, for approximately one week, the crews will be connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains along 34th Avenue S. from E. 55th Street to E. 58th Street. After this section is done, the crews who connect natural gas service lines will follow the crews who install natural gas mains.
- Two-way traffic will be maintained going north and south on 34th Avenue S. During active construction, every other intersection along the route will have eastbound and westbound traffic closed or open for short periods of time.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From the week of April 15 to late June 2019, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis along 34th Avenue S. between Minnehaha Parkway and E. 58th Street.
CenterPoint Energy’s work will be done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s 34th Avenue South Street Reconstruction
project. For more information on the city’s project, please visit its website.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction—typically the boulevard, lawn, sidewalk and road.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please click here to find out more about our project and click here to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Frequent updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 85492170 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.