Golden Valley, New Hope and Crystal - Winnetka Avenue 2020 Belt Line Project
Scheduled Start Date: Spring 2020
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From spring to fall 2020, crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor will be replacing natural gas mains, connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains, and moving any inside residential meters to the outside of homes in Golden Valley, New Hope and Crystal. Construction will take place along Winnetka Avenue between 10th and 42nd Avenues N.
This project is a continuation of CenterPoint Energy’s Belt Line project in Minnesota, which began in 2012 and will continue until approximately 2022. The Belt Line system is a series of natural gas distribution mains along routes from Brooklyn Center to Bloomington and from Golden Valley to Minneapolis.
Construction will happen in four phases:
- Phase 1 consists of installing a new natural gas distribution main. (This will occur on Winnetka Avenue between 23rd and 42nd Avenues N.)
- Phase 2 is connecting the individual customer gas service lines to the new gas distribution main. This may include service line replacement and relocating gas meters from inside the home to outside. (For more information on CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside,” please visit our web page here.) Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the new gas service line. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. (This will occur on Winnetka Avenue between 23rd and 42nd Avenues N.)
- Phase 3 is replacing the existing main under the road in the same location. (This will occur on the entire project length.)
- Phase 4 is the restoration of disturbed areas affected by our work outside the city construction zone—typically the boulevard, sidewalks and lawns. This work will be performed by CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting.
What are the anticipated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. If any closures are necessary, they will be minimized. More details will be added to this web page closer to the project’s start date.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on our Project Status page below. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
Please reference the project name or number 88519248, 90350865 or 90350999 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.