Currently the crews are working on Aldrich Avenue N. and 60th Avenue N. Afterward the crews will work on Bryant Avenue N.
Concurrent construction is happening by contractors for the City of Brooklyn Center’s “Interstate Area Street/Utility Improvements
” project. For more information on the city’s project, please visit their web page.
Project description: In 2019 CenterPoint Energy’s project in Brooklyn Center near Interstates 94 and 694 lasted from late May to late June. This year the project will last from late March 30 to late April with work from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractors. In late March, crews from Michels Corporation replaced natural gas mains. This month they will connect natural gas service lines to the new mains. Crews from Q3 Contracting will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s work.
Installing replacement gas mains:
According to the Governor of Minnesota’s order
, gas main replacement is an essential work function. This allows for the modernization of related gas facilities. The gas main work requires excavations in various locations in the right-of-way (front yard) to facilitate the installation work. Connecting service lines to the new mains:
As social distancing practices and proper use of PPE, face masks and gloves have become normalized and as customers are willing to allow properly protected personnel into their homes to complete required work to modernize gas facilities, which is essential work, CenterPoint Energy authorized contractors will enter customer homes to complete work only with customer permission. Please see our flyer here:
The purpose of our flyer is to advise that with customer permission, crews will now enter homes to complete necessary gas meter work. If you choose not to allow crews to enter your home, gas service will not be interrupted, and we will reschedule for a time better suited to concerns you may have. Crews will continue to replace service lines. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement and next to your home to complete the task of service line replacement.
Traffic impacts: Lane and parking restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. Local access will be maintained.
Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, have replaced natural gas mains and connected natural gas service lines for the first part of CenterPoint Energy’s project. Construction took place along selected streets east of Camden Avenue N.
Further construction in this area is being done for the City of Brooklyn Center’s “Interstate Area Street/Utility Improvements
.” CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction outside the limits of the city’s project.
The second part of CenterPoint Energy’s project will happen in the 2020 construction season. We appreciate your patience during the construction process.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Brooklyn Center in the Bryant Avenue N. neighborhood near Interstates 94 and 694. CenterPoint Energy’s project will happen in two parts. The first part will occur from along selected streets east of Camden Avenue N. from approximately May 31 to June 21. The second part will occur within the 2020 construction season. We appreciate your patience and wish to make the construction process run smoothly.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction outside the city limits.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please
click here to find out more about our project and
click here to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 89115701 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.