Texas law prevents us from offering programs directly to residential customers. All of our programs are implemented by third-party contractors.
If you are interested in energy-efficiency upgrades to your home and have an annual total household income that is less than 200% of current federal poverty guidelines, learn more about our Residential Energy Efficiency Program or view a list of participating agencies.
Score a FREE A/C Tune-Up
Just as a tune-up for your car can improve your gas mileage, a yearly tune-up of your heating and cooling system can improve efficiency and comfort.
A Coolsaver A/C Tune-up may improve the cooling output and efficiency of your air conditioning unit by up to 27%. A Coolsaver qualified technician will identify ways to improve the efficiency of your air conditioner (A/C) and implement any recommended improvements.
Offer is available to customers within the CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric's service territory (excluding apartments) who have:
- A central A/C or heat pump that is at least one year old and operating at the time of service
- Individual A/C systems that are no larger than five tons for residential customers
- NOT received a Coolsaver A/C Tune-up in the past five years
Enroll now to receive your FREE A/C Coolsaver tune-up.
Upgrade your Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Heating and cooling represent about 50% of your home's energy use. If you replace your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system with a more energy-efficient model, you can earn incentives that can be applied to your installation invoice from participating contractors, depending on system size and the system’s seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) rating level.
When an A/C unit works efficiently, it uses less energy to cool your home. The SEER rating divides your system’s annual cooling output during the cooling season by the total electric energy input for the year. The resulting ratio measures your A/C’s cooling efficiency. The higher the SEER rating, the more energy efficient the system. The current minimum SEER standard for an A/C in Texas is 14; our rebates start at 16 SEER.
Interested in upgrading your unit to take advantage of CenterPoint Energy rebates? Select from our list of approved heat and cooling professionals to get started!
There are also easy ways to improve the efficiency of your existing heating and cooling equipment:
- Keep your HVAC system clean, including filters, fans, ducts, and vents
- Clean or change filters monthly or as recommended by the manufacturer (at a minimum, change the filter every three months)
- Keep the condensation drain open
- Do not block air circulation from vents or cold air returns with furniture or window coverings
- Have your system maintained by a certified HVAC professional annually
- Ask your HVAC professional to test your ducts for leaks. Ducts that move air to and from a forced air furnace, central A/C, or heat pumps are often sources for air leakage. Sealing and insulating ducts can improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system by as much as 20% — and sometimes much more!
Looking for an approved professional? Have questions about potential rebates?
Contact us – we’re here to help.
Invest in a Smart Thermostat
Consider investing in an ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostat to preset your home's heating and cooling temperatures around your schedule. This simple change can provide household comfort, real energy savings, and lower energy bills, because optimal temperatures are only in use when the home is occupied.
Ask you contractor for more information regarding the installation of ENERGY STAR® certified smart thermostats. Or save $50 with an instant rebate – learn more. Terms and conditions apply.
Save Money on LED Lighting
ENERGY STAR® certified light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs help you save money on utility bills while they protect the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs:
- Use up to 90% less energy than standard bulbs
- Last at least 15 times longer and saves about $50 in electricity costs over its lifetime
- Are tested by accredited labs and certified by a third party
When you buy ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs at participating retailers, you enjoy instant discounts at the register, courtesy of CenterPoint Energy. Discounted LED bulbs can be found online and at Houston area in-house retailers such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Sam’s Club.
Questions? To learn how you can save on lighting, visit our Advanced Lighting Program page or contact us.
Assess Your Insulation
Sealing air leaks around your home and adding insulation can help maintain the desired temperature throughout your home more effectively, making your home more comfortable and provide savings on your energy bills. CenterPoint Energy recommends that ceiling insultation levels have an R value of R-30 or more for maximum comfort and efficiency.
Select from our list of approved insulation professionals to get started!
Questions? Contact us.
Conserve with a Variable Speed Pool Pump
Your pool pump could be your home’s second largest energy user, costing you nearly $500 in energy every year!
Variable speed pool pumps:
- Use up to 70% less energy than standard pool pumps
- Save you up to $350 per year in energy bills
- Provide a return on investment in less than two years
- Reduce the energy required for filtration, cleaning, and circulation of swimming pool water
- Operate more quietly
- Have a longer useful life
How Do Variable Speed Pool Pumps Save Energy?
Conventional pool pumps use the same high pump speed regardless of the task assigned, even though filtration, the number one task of a pool pump, requires one-half the speed (using one-eighth the power) of pool vacuuming. Variable speed pool pumps deliver the right speed for different tasks, using much less energy.
Is it Time to Take the Plunge?
Your pool pump may show these warning signs of wearing out and wasting energy:
- Seems less powerful than in the past
- Makes noise
- Occasionally gets hot and shuts off
- Won’t start or starts slowly
- Is seven to 10 years old
If so, it could be time to call a pool services contractor. Select from our
list of approved pool pump providers to get started!
Questions? Contact us.
Choose ENERGY STAR Windows, Doors, and Skylights
Installing ENERGY STAR® certified windows, doors, and skylights can shrink energy bills — and carbon footprints — by an average of 12% nationwide, and up to 31% in the Houston zone, compared to noncertified products.
To get started, view the benefits of installing ENERGY STAR® certified windows, doors, and skylights.
Questions? Contact us.
Buy or Build an Energy-efficient Home
CenterPoint Energy promotes local builders that build and certify high performance and ENERGY STAR® homes. These homes use less energy than those built to the Texas residential building code, providing you with a more comfortable home that operates for less money.
Select from our list of
approved builders to get started!