Natural Gas Line and Meter Inspection
To ensure safe and reliable service to our customers, federal regulations require CenterPoint Energy to periodically inspect its equipment, including the piping and natural gas meter the company owns.
- CenterPoint Energy owns the natural gas meter and the piping that comes into it from the distribution main line.
- Customers own the piping that runs from the meter to the natural gas appliances and it is the customer's responsibility to maintain this piping.
For Your Safety
- Do not store items on or around your meter
- Keep meter clear of landscaping that obstructs access or visibility
- Do not wrap or insulate meter
- Do not tie pets to the meter installation
- Do not allow children to climb on or play near meter
- Use caution when using lawn equipment around meter
- Do not tamper with meter or attempt to service or maintain the meter yourself
- If meter is damaged or you suspect a gas leak, please call CenterPoint Energy immediately
Electric meter safety
Meters and other electrical equipment may be located on the outside of a home or building. The meter measures the amount of electricity used. Never tamper with this or any electrical equipment. It is illegal to tamper with the meter.
CenterPoint Energy owns and is responsible for installing and maintaining the meter. The customer owns and is responsible for installing and maintaining its electrical equipment, including but not limited to, the weatherhead, meter can, breaker box (including the breakers within) and in most cases the underground residential service drops. The customer should contact a qualified electrician to address problems or issues with customer-owned equipment.