Project Status - Minneapolis - North Loop Neighborhood
CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, is progressing along CenterPoint Energy’s North Loop Neighborhood project. Below are the construction details for this update:
- The crews have installed natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. between 2nd Street N. and Washington Avenue N. At the intersection of 5th Avenue N. and Washington Avenue N., temporary asphalt and gravel are in place to allow four-way traffic. Crews from Q3 Contracting, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be permanently restoring this intersection.
- Currently the crews are installing natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. between Washington Avenue N. and 3rd Street N. The crews are taking other underground utilities and the weather into account as they progress. Two-way traffic is being maintained in this area.
- For the next three weeks the crews will be installing natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. toward 5th Street N. Afterward they will return to the intersection of 5th Avenue N. and Washington Avenue N. to install a natural gas regulator loop.
- Any changes in this schedule will be due to the crews’ progress, weather, availability of materials, and agreements between CenterPoint Energy and the City of Minneapolis. CenterPoint Energy’s work is being done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s North Loop Paving Project. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience during this construction process.
CenterPoint Energy’s project will begin on Monday, May 6. CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will begin installing natural gas main along 5th Avenue N., starting at 2nd Street N. and working south toward Washington Avenue N.
- During the week of May 6, the crews will maintain two-way traffic while working along the southern curb. Bicycle riders may share vehicular lanes during any temporary bike lane closures. Parking will be restricted along the northern curb.
- Parking lot access will be maintained for local businesses along this stretch. If the crews need to work across the entrance of a parking lot, steel plates will be provided as needed. The closure will be minimized.
- During the week of May 13, the crews will be working at the intersection of Washington Avenue N. and 5th Avenue N. Although the intersection will not be fully closed, the crews will be closing and reopening one or a few lanes at a time. Parking will be restricted within construction activity. Bicycle riders may share vehicular lanes during any temporary bike lane closures. Four-way traffic will be maintained for vehicles.
- The exception will be for trucks when the crews temporarily close the eastern corner lanes of Washington Avenue N. and 5th Avenue N. During this closure, trucks cannot turn right from Washington Avenue N. to 5th Avenue N.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From Monday, May 6, to late June 2019, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis along the following streets in the North Loop Neighborhood:
- 5th Avenue N. between 2nd and 5th Streets N.
- 3rd Street N. at 7th and 10th Avenues N.
- 7th Avenue N. between 3rd Street N. and the alley between 3rd and 4th Streets N.
CenterPoint Energy’s work will be done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s North Loop Paving Project
. For more information on the city’s project, please visit its website.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- The city will restore the areas affected by its work. CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by our work outside the city’s limits.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Frequent updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 88936514 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.