Project Status - Minneapolis - North Loop Neighborhood
What have the crews done so far?
- Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, have installed and activated natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. between 2nd Street N. and 5th Street N.
What are the crews doing?
- At the intersection of 5th Street N. and Washington Avenue N., the crews are putting the existing regulator loop out of service. When this is done, the crews will remove the existing natural gas main, which is put out of service, from 5th Avenue N. between Washington Avenue N. to 5th Street N.
- Q3 Contracting, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be restoring the concrete area and sidewalk at Washington Avenue N. Final restoration will take place along 5th Avenue N. between 2nd Street N. and Washington Avenue N.
- Concurrent construction is happening by the contractor for the City of Minneapolis along 5th Avenue N. For more information on the city’s “North Loop Paving Project,” please visit its website.
- Two-way traffic is currently being maintained on 5th Avenue N. The intersections along 5th Avenue N. are open for traffic. The east sidewalk between 2nd Street N. and Washington Avenue N. is open for pedestrian traffic. Q3 Contracting will be restoring and opening the other sidewalks affected by Michels Corporation’s construction along 5th Avenue N. outside the limits of the city’s project.
What will the crews do?
- As CenterPoint Energy’s contractors progress in construction, they will gradually remove their traffic control devices except those belonging to the city’s construction.
- Crews from Michels Corporation are installing natural gas main at the intersection of 3rd Street N. and 7th Avenue N. and will continue into the week of June 17 in this intersection. Afterward they will install natural gas main at the intersection of 3rd Street N. and 10th Avenue N.
CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, is progressing along CenterPoint Energy’s North Loop Neighborhood project. Below are the construction details for this update:
- The crews have installed natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. between 2nd Street N. and Washington Avenue N. At the intersection of 5th Avenue N. and Washington Avenue N., temporary asphalt and gravel are in place to allow four-way traffic. Crews from Q3 Contracting, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be permanently restoring this intersection.
- Currently the crews are installing natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. between Washington Avenue N. and 3rd Street N. The crews are taking other underground utilities and the weather into account as they progress. Two-way traffic is being maintained in this area.
- For the next three weeks the crews will be installing natural gas main along 5th Avenue N. toward 5th Street N. Afterward they will return to the intersection of 5th Avenue N. and Washington Avenue N. to install a natural gas regulator loop.
- Any changes in this schedule will be due to the crews’ progress, weather, availability of materials, and agreements between CenterPoint Energy and the City of Minneapolis. CenterPoint Energy’s work is being done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s North Loop Paving Project. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience during this construction process.
CenterPoint Energy’s project will begin on Monday, May 6. CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will begin installing natural gas main along 5th Avenue N., starting at 2nd Street N. and working south toward Washington Avenue N.
- During the week of May 6, the crews will maintain two-way traffic while working along the southern curb. Bicycle riders may share vehicular lanes during any temporary bike lane closures. Parking will be restricted along the northern curb.
- Parking lot access will be maintained for local businesses along this stretch. If the crews need to work across the entrance of a parking lot, steel plates will be provided as needed. The closure will be minimized.
- During the week of May 13, the crews will be working at the intersection of Washington Avenue N. and 5th Avenue N. Although the intersection will not be fully closed, the crews will be closing and reopening one or a few lanes at a time. Parking will be restricted within construction activity. Bicycle riders may share vehicular lanes during any temporary bike lane closures. Four-way traffic will be maintained for vehicles.
- The exception will be for trucks when the crews temporarily close the eastern corner lanes of Washington Avenue N. and 5th Avenue N. During this closure, trucks cannot turn right from Washington Avenue N. to 5th Avenue N.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From Monday, May 6, to late June 2019, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis along the following streets in the North Loop Neighborhood:
- 5th Avenue N. between 2nd and 5th Streets N.
- 3rd Street N. at 7th and 10th Avenues N.
- 7th Avenue N. between 3rd Street N. and the alley between 3rd and 4th Streets N.
CenterPoint Energy’s work will be done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s North Loop Paving Project
. For more information on the city’s project, please visit its website.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- The city will restore the areas affected by its work. CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by our work outside the city’s limits.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 88936514 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.