Minneapolis - Diamond Lake Road W.
Scheduled Start Date: Week of August 10, 2020
From the week of August 10 to November 13, 2020, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractors will perform work along 54th Street W. and Diamond Lake Road W. between Lyndale and Stevens Avenues S. The crews will start at Lyndale Avenue S., working east toward Stevens Avenue S. While Michels Corporation will replace the natural gas main, Q3 Contracting will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s work.
Between November 2 and 13, the crews will connect the new natural gas main, which will run along Diamond Lake Road from Lyndale to Stevens Avenues, to the existing intersecting mains. The connection locations are the following: Stevens, Nicollet, Wentworth, Harriet and Lyndale Avenues. The crews will work at all intersections at once. Traffic will be shifted in areas where the crews are working.
Approximately two or three blocks will be closed at a time. While Michels Corporation will close two blocks at a time, Q3 Contracting will restore the third block immediately after the natural gas work is done on that block. Lane and parking restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. The crews will work with residents and businesses on maintaining local access. Detour routes will be posted for any respective closures.
10/15/20 - Eastbound 54th St. W. will be closed Oct. 26 to Nov. 13
Revision: From October 26 to November 13, the crews will close a portion of 54th Street W. heading eastbound between Lyndale and Garfield Avenues. During this time, parking entrances and sidewalks will remain open on 54th Street W. A detour route will lead drivers to northbound Lyndale Avenue, eastbound 46th Street W., and southbound Nicollet Avenue. Westbound traffic will remain open on 54th Street W.
Please continue to patronize local businesses. The crews will place “Businesses are open” signs in this area.
9/29/20 - Full and Partial Closures of Nicollet Avenue, Oct. 9 - 21
- From October 9 to 21, CenterPoint Energy will be working at Nicollet Avenue at Diamond Lake Road. From 7:00 p.m. on October 9 to the afternoon of October 11, the crews will fully close Nicollet Avenue.
- From October 12 to 21, traffic heading north on Nicollet Avenue can turn right onto Diamond Lake Road during this time. Traffic heading west on Diamond Lake Road cannot turn onto Nicollet Avenue. (See the image below.)
- Please continue to patronize local businesses. The sidewalks on Diamond Lake Road will remain open. Parking will be available on the side streets. An inspector will be on site during construction for any questions about access.
- We appreciate your patience as we continue to upgrade our natural gas system.
Detour Routes for Nicollet and Diamond Lake Road Closure
- On Monday, October 12, the crews will close westbound traffic on Diamond Lake Road between Nicollet and Stevens Avenues. From October 12 to November 13, eastbound traffic will remain open in this area. The closure will accommodate the natural gas main replacement and the road’s paving. Depending on the crews’ progress, this closure may be open as early as November 6.
- For the majority of this closure, the parking lot entrances facing Diamond Lake Road will remain open. When the crews need to cross an entrance, they will contact the business. The sidewalks on Diamond Lake Road will remain open.
- During the closure of westbound Diamond Lake Road, detour signs will lead drivers to southbound Stevens Avenue, westbound Highway 62, and northbound Lyndale Avenue.
- While Nicollet Avenue is closed, detour signs will lead drivers to Diamond Lake Road, Portland Avenue, 46th Street and Lyndale Avenue. After October 16, drivers can travel north and south on Nicollet Avenue.
No Parking Areas and Bus Detour Routes
From Friday, October 9 to approximately Monday, October 19, Metro Transit and the City of Minneapolis will restrict parking on the following streets:
- The north side of 56th Street from Stevens to Lyndale Avenues
- The south side of 54th Street east of Nicollet Avenue
- The west side of Stevens Avenue south of 54th Street
- The south side of 56th Street just west of Nicollet and Stevens Avenues
During this time, the detoured bus route for northbound traffic will head west on 56th Street, north on Lyndale Avenue, and east on 50th Street. The detoured bus route for southbound traffic will head south on Nicollet Avenue, east on 54th Street, south on Stevens Avenue, and west on 56th Street.