Minneapolis – 44th Ave. N. between Penn and Lyndale Avenues N.
Scheduled Start Date: March 29, 2021
What will CenterPoint Energy do?
Beginning on March 29 and lasting into late spring or early summer 2021, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractors will work in Minneapolis along the following streets:
- 44th Avenue N. at Penn Avenue N., Humboldt Avenue N. and between Newton and Morgan Avenues N.
- Penn and Humboldt Avenues N. between 44th and 45th Avenues N.
While Michels Corporation will replace the natural gas main, connect the natural gas service lines to the new main, and move any inside residential meters outside, Q3 Contracting will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s work.
What are the traffic impacts?During active construction, the following traffic plan will occur in segments rather than all at once:
- The crews will close Penn Avenue N. to through traffic between 44th and 45th Avenues N. Detour signs will lead through traffic to Osseo Road and 45th Avenue N. Flaggers will be on 44th Avenue N. directing traffic. Parking will be restricted or reopened on both sides of Penn Avenue N.; 44th Avenue N. between Penn and Oliver Avenues N.; or Penn Avenue N. just south of 44th Avenue N. Entrances to the parking lots in this area will remain open. The crews will work with residents and businesses to maintain access.
- On 44th Avenue N. at Penn Avenue N. and between Newton and Morgan Avenues N., the crews will shift bike lane and sidewalk closures from the north side of 44th Avenue N. to the south side while maintaining two-way traffic. The crews will close Newton Avenue N. to through traffic between 44th and 45th Avenues N. and will restrict parking on both sides of Newton Avenue N. Detour signs will lead through traffic to Logan Avenue N. and 45th Avenue N.
- On Humboldt Avenue N. between Victory Memorial Drive and 44th Avenue N., the crews will shift traffic, restrict parking on both sides of Humboldt Avenue N., and alternate sidewalk closures from the east side to the west side of Humboldt Avenue N. They will maintain access to businesses’ parking lot entrances.
- At 44th Avenue N. and Humboldt Avenue N., the crews will alternate sidewalk closures from the north to the south side of 44th Avenue N. while maintaining two-way traffic on 44th Avenue N. For a limited time, they will close Humboldt Avenue N. just south of 44th Avenue N.
- On Lyndale Avenue N., there will be lane, parking and sidewalk closures alternating from 42nd Avenue N. to just south of 41st Avenue N. Trucks heading westbound on 41st Avenue N. cannot make a right turn on Lyndale Avenue for a limited time. They will be detoured to southbound Lyndale Avenue N., westbound Dowling Avenue, northbound Fremont Avenue, and eastbound 42nd Avenue N.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s COVID-19 protocol?
According to the Governor of Minnesota’s order
, gas main replacement is an essential work function. This allows for the modernization of related gas facilities. The gas main work requires excavations in various locations in the right-of-way (front yard) to facilitate the installation work.
As social distancing practices and proper use of PPE, face masks and gloves have become normalized and as customers are willing to allow properly protected personnel into their homes to complete required work to modernize gas facilities, which is essential work, CenterPoint Energy authorized contractors will enter customer homes to complete work only with customer permission.
The purpose of this letter is to advise that with customer permission, crews will now enter homes to complete necessary gas meter work. If you choose not to allow crews to enter your home, gas service will not be interrupted, and we will reschedule for a time better suited to concerns you may have. Crews will continue to replace service lines. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement and next to your home to complete the task of service line replacement.