Project Status - Minneapolis - 2nd Avenue N.
Tomorrow on Saturday, November 17, crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will finish the natural gas work for the 2nd Avenue N. project.
Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, are continuing to restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation. The block of 2nd Avenue N. between Washington Avenue to 3rd Street N. is permanently restored. The other areas along the construction route that didn’t receive permanent restoration are being temporarily restored. Restoration for 2018 is expected to finish during the week of November 19, 2018. Permanent restoration will take place in spring or summer 2019.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have connected all the natural gas service lines to the installed natural gas mains. Further construction by Michels Corporation will include putting the existing natural gas main out of service and installing natural gas main at the southern end of the project. Below are the details for this update:
- During this weekend, the crews will be putting the existing natural gas main out of service on 2nd Avenue N.
- Within the week of October 29, the crews will be installing the final of the natural gas main.
- From 9:00 p.m. on Friday, November 9, to 5:00 a.m. on Monday, November 12, the crews will be closing 4th Street N. at 2nd Avenue N. to accommodate their work. During this time, drivers can still access two-way traffic on 2nd Avenue N., but they can’t turn onto 4th Street N. from 2nd Avenue N. or from the I-394 ramp. Detour signs will be posted on 2nd Avenue N. and on the I-394 ramp. A week’s notice will be placed on the ramp.
- After the installation at 4th Street N. and 2nd Avenue N. is done, the crews will be cleaning the work area. Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will be restoring the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s work.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have installed natural gas mains along 2nd Avenue N. between Washington Avenue N. and 4th Street N. The crews have also connected many of the natural gas service lines to the installed mains in this area.
During the week of October 22, the crews will finish the natural gas service line connections. They will be working at 2nd Avenue N. and Washington Avenue N.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
Beginning on Monday, October 1, and ending within the week of November 19, 2018, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis along the southern side of 2nd Avenue N. between 2nd Street N. and 4th Street N.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- There will be partial traffic impacts occurring intermittently throughout the project, rather than all at once. Local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will restore the areas affected by CenterPoint Energy’s construction—typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer’s yard.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Frequent updates will be posted on the Project Status page below. In addition, you can contact one of the following CenterPoint Energy resources. Please reference the project name or number 79338875:
- Communication Specialist, Hannah Gullickson:
We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you.