Minneapolis - 17th Avenue S.
Scheduled Start Date: September 12, 2019
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From September 12 to spring 2020, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be performing construction along 17th Avenue S. between 22nd and 29th Streets East. Work will not be performed over the winter. Lane restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction will happen in four phases:
- Phase 1 consists of installing a new natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the individual customer gas service lines to the new gas distribution main. This may include service line replacement and relocating gas meters from inside the home to outside. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the new gas service line. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement.
- Phase 3 is replacing the existing main under the road in the same location.
- Phase 4 is the restoration of disturbed areas affected by our work outside the city construction zone—typically the boulevard, sidewalks and lawns. Our authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will be performing this phase.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
For the majority of September, the crews will be working in the east (northbound) parking lane of 17th Avenue S. between 22nd and 29th Streets E. The Phase 1 crew will start at 22nd St. E., working south. The Phase 2 crew will follow the Phase 1 route. Parking will be available on the opposite side of the street from where the crews are working. Some sidewalk closures will happen. Throughout the project, please visit our Project Status page below for traffic updates.
Beginning in mid-September, the crews will perform Phase 3 from 22nd to 25th Streets E. In spring of 2020, the crews will finish the rest of Phase 3 from 25th to 29th Streets E., including 27th Street E. west of 17th Avenue S. During this phase, the crew will replace the natural gas main in the roadway, closing two blocks and one intersection at a time and moving the traffic control devices as they progress. In each segment 17th Avenue S. will be fully closed to through traffic. The foreman will work with residents who have driveway access onto 17th Avenue S.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please
click here to find out more about our project and
click here to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on our Project Status page below. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
Please reference the project name or number 90457931 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.