On Monday, April 27, crews from Minnesota Limited, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will close Normandale Road between 66th and 69th Streets W. The detour route will lead drivers to 66th Street W., Valley View Road and 70th Street W. For four weeks, the crews will replace the natural gas main, and Q3 Contracting will restore the areas affected by Minnesota Limited’s construction.
On Tuesday, April 28, the crews will close Josephine Avenue between 64th and 66th Streets W. This closure will last for three to four weeks to allow the crews to replace the natural gas main and restore the areas. Residential access will be maintained, but delays will occur.
Project description: From early May to the end of summer 2020, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Minnesota Limited, will perform work on CenterPoint Energy’s natural gas main in Edina along the following roads in the following order:
- Normandale Road from 69th to 66th Streets W.
- Josephine Avenue from 66th to 64th Streets W.
- 64th Street W. from Josephine to Holborn Avenues.
Crews from Q3 Contracting, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will restore the areas affected by Minnesota Limited’s work. Overhanging trees along the project corridor will be trimmed in April prior to the steel gas main replacement project. With this project, no CenterPoint Energy employee or a CenterPoint Energy contractor will be entering homes.
Virtual meeting: On Wednesday, April 15, from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., CenterPoint Energy and the City of Edina will be hosting a virtual WebEx meeting to answer questions about the project. You can join via your phone and/or your computer up to 10 minutes before the meeting:
- To join via your phone, call US Toll +1-415-655-0002 or US Toll free +1-855-797-9485. Press the attendee access code 296 794 681, followed by #.
Traffic impacts: Work will occur in segments rather than all at once. One or two blocks will be closed at a time for a few weeks at a time. When the crews cross an intersection, each crossing will take approx. a few business days. More details will be added to CenterPoint Energy’s website closer to the project’s timeline. Lane and parking restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
How can I access my home? Local access will be maintained. When the crews need to cross a resident’s driveway, the resident will be notified by the project’s foreman or inspector. Garbage and mail services will be able to access the resident’s home.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From spring to fall 2020, crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor will be replacing natural gas mains, connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains, and moving any inside residential meters to the outside of homes in Edina. Construction will take place along the following streets:
- 64th Street W. between Holborn and Josephine Avenues
- Josephine Avenue between 64th and 66th Streets W.
- Normandale Road between 66th and 69th Streets W.
This project is a continuation of CenterPoint Energy’s Belt Line project in Minnesota, which began in 2012 and will continue until approximately 2022. The Belt Line system is a series of natural gas distribution mains along routes from Brooklyn Center to Bloomington and from Golden Valley to Minneapolis.
Construction will happen in four phases:
- Phase 1 consists of installing a new natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the individual customer gas service lines to the new gas distribution main. This may include service line replacement and relocating gas meters from inside the home to outside. (For more information on CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside,” please visit our web page here.)
Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the new gas service line. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement.
- Phase 3 is replacing the existing main under the road in the same location.
- Phase 4 is the restoration of disturbed areas affected by our work outside the city construction zone—typically the boulevard, sidewalks and lawns. This work will be performed by CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting.
What are the anticipated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. If any closures are necessary, they will be minimized. More details will be added to this web page closer to the project’s start date.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
Please reference the project name or number 90350688 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.