Project Updates - Columbia Heights - McKenna Park Neighborhood
This week crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, are replacing natural gas main on the west side of 7th Street NE from 51st to 52nd Avenues NE and will be connecting this new main to the existing intersecting ones. During this time the west sidewalk will be closed. There is a lane shift on 51st Avenue NE east of 7th Street NE.
The crews will also be connecting the new main to the existing intersecting one at 7th Street NE and 48th Avenue NE, just north of McKenna Park.
- Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will continue to replace the natural gas main on Madison Street NE for the next few days. They will connect the new main to the existing intersecting one on the north side of 51st Avenue NE on Madison Street NE. Currently there is a lane shift in that area.
- By Friday, May 22, the crews will connect the new main to the existing intersecting one on 4th Street NE and 50th Avenue NE.
- Afterward the crews will connect the new main to the existing intersecting ones on 4th, 5th and 6th Streets NE on 53rd Avenue NE.
- Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, replaced the natural gas main on 4th Street NE, and it will be activated with natural gas in the week of May 18.
- Currently the crews are replacing natural gas main on Washington Street NE.
- The crews are also connecting the natural gas service lines to the new mains, following the main crews’ route.
- By May 12, the crews plan to have replaced the natural gas main on 4th Street NE from 48th to 53rd Avenues NE. When this is done, the crews will return to the intersections of 48th, 50th and 53rd Avenues NE to connect the new main to the existing intersecting ones.
- To prepare for the main replacement on 7th Street NE, the crews are locating any existing underground public utilities in this area. The locating tools will include spray paint and utility flags.
- Tomorrow the crews plan to begin replacing the natural gas main on 7th Street NE at 48th Avenue NE, working north to 52nd Avenue NE.
- The crews are continuing to replace natural gas main on 48th Avenue NE from 6th Street NE toward Washington Street NE.
- The crews are continuing to close the west sidewalk on 4th Street NE from 51st to 53rd Avenues NE. They have also closed the west sidewalk on 7th Street NE from 49th to 50th Avenues NE.
- Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, replaced natural gas mains on 5th Street NE from 53rd to 51st Avenues NE and 6th Street NE from 48th to 53rd Avenues NE.
- Currently the west sidewalk on 6th Street NE is closed from 48th to 50th Avenues NE. It will be restored by Q3 Contracting, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor.
- Crews from Michels Corporation are currently replacing the natural gas main on 48th Avenue NE. Today on Tuesday, May 5, the crews are connecting the new main to the existing intersecting mains on 48th Avenue NE between 4th and 6th Streets NE. The sidewalk crossings are closed in these areas until the late afternoon of May 6.
- For the rest of this week, the crews will continue replacing natural gas main on 48th Avenue NE from 7th to Washington Streets NE. During active construction, the crews will close the sidewalks crossings in these areas.
- In the week of May 11, the crews will replace the natural gas main on 4th Street NE working north from 48th Avenue NE to just north of 52nd Avenue NE. Currently the west sidewalk is closed from 52nd to 53rd Avenues NE on 4th Street NE.
Project description: From the week of April 20 to late summer or early fall 2020, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractors will perform work in Columbia Heights along the following streets:
- 4th, 5th and 6th Streets NE between 48th and 53rd Avenues NE
- 7th Street NE between 48th and 52nd Avenues NE
- Washington and Madison Streets NE between 48th and 51st Avenues NE
- Washington Street NE between 45th and 46th Avenues NE and at 47th Avenue NE
- 48th Avenue NE between 4th and Washington Streets NE
While Michels Corporation will replace the natural gas mains and connect the service lines to the new mains, Q3 Contracting will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction.
Installing replacement gas mains:
According to the Governor of Minnesota’s order
, gas main replacement is an essential work function. This allows for the modernization of related gas facilities. The gas main work requires excavations in various locations in the right-of-way (front yard) to facilitate the installation work. Connecting service lines to the new mains:
As social distancing practices and proper use of PPE, face masks and gloves have become normalized and as customers are willing to allow properly protected personnel into their homes to complete required work to modernize gas facilities, which is essential work, CenterPoint Energy authorized contractors will enter customer homes to complete work only with customer permission. Please see our flyer here:
The purpose of our flyer is to advise that with customer permission, crews will now enter homes to complete necessary gas meter work. If you choose not to allow crews to enter your home, gas service will not be interrupted, and we will reschedule for a time better suited to concerns you may have. Crews will continue to replace service lines. Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement and next to your home to complete the task of service line replacement. Traffic impacts:
Work will occur in segments rather than all at once. Lane and parking restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. Local access will be maintained.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number
92164899 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.