Air Cleaner Frequently Asked Questions
I'm worried about indoor air quality. Are there Home Service Plus products that can help?
Indoor air quality (IAQ) is a growing concern for owners of both new and existing homes. Tighter building construction over the past 15 to 20 years has reduced energy consumption but, as homes have become more efficient, homeowners' health, comfort and productivity have often suffered due to restricted airflow. When a home has good indoor air quality, homeowners will be healthier and more comfortable. When IAQ problems exist, occupants can experience physical symptoms including headaches, fatigue, nausea, eye and throat irritations, respiratory problems, allergic reactions and general hypersensitivity. Our Indoor Air Quality Fact Sheet will provide you with more information.
We offer these Home Service Plus products to help solve some of these problems:
- Air cleaners help filter the air in your home of pollutants such as dust, smoke and pollens. Your air cleaner works only when your furnace is operating so, for optimal air cleaning effectiveness, it is important to run the fan on your furnace at all times. HSP proudly offers air cleaners by Honeywell.
- A heat recovery ventilator (HRV) helps reduce excessive moisture in tight homes and lessen buildup of unwanted gases, such as carbon dioxide and cooking odors. Our Lifebreath HRV exchanges stale, moist air from inside your house with fresh, oxygen-rich air from outside.
- A humidifier adds needed moisture to homes that suffer from excessive dryness during winter. An Aprilaire humidifier adds moisture to the air that is being distributed by your heating system, automatically adjusting the humidity level required to keep you comfortable, based on the outdoor air temperature.
- Carbon monoxide alarms help monitor your home for the presence of carbon monoxide. The Nighthawk carbon monoxide alarm features a digital display of carbon monoxide readings and an available alarm to alert you if dangerous levels of carbon monoxide are detected in your home.
Here are some questions to consider regarding indoor air quality:
- Is your house less than 15 years old?
- Do you have cold or hot spots in any of your rooms?
- Are you planning to finish, remodel or convert any rooms?
- Do you have window condensation when temperatures drop?
- Is black mold growing on any windowsills?
- Do colds and viruses seem to linger in your household?
- Do odors refuse to dissipate?
- Does the indoor air seem stale during winter?
- Does anyone in your household suffer from allergies?
- Do you have small children?
- Do you own pets?
- Do you have a piano, collectibles or fine woodwork?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might want to improve your home's indoor air quality with one or more of the products we offer. Your Home Service Plus representative can recommend quality products that will help increase your home comfort.