HOUSTON - February 6, 2014 - During the recent frigid temperatures, many Oklahomans are relying on various types of heating equipment to stay warm. CenterPoint Energy is reminding customers that they can stay warm and save substantially by using natural gas for home heating.
With a natural gas furnace, an average customer can save $190 or 37 percent annually when compared to an air-source heat pump. If the customer has an electric resistance heater, savings grow to $546 or 63 percent annually (using Oklahoma average residential electricity prices for winter 2012-2013 per EIA-DOE and CenterPoint Energy Oklahoma average residential natural gas prices for same timeframe). During a colder winter, the savings with a natural gas heating system are even more substantial.
In addition to the energy savings, CenterPoint Energy offers rebates of $2,000 for customers who replace their electric resistance heater or air-source heat pump with a qualifying high-efficiency natural gas model, and for customers who already use natural gas heating, rebates up to $400 are available for upgrading to qualifying high–efficiency models.
Consumers in the market to build or buy a new home should ask their builder for natural gas as it will help them save in operating costs.
CenterPoint Energy also offers rebates for furnace tune-ups, high-efficiency water heaters, natural gas fireplaces, cooking ranges and clothes dryers. For more information on these rebates, visit CenterPointEnergy.com/OklahomaRebates.
When customers choose natural gas for heating their home and water, cooking meals and drying clothes, they will benefit in many ways, as natural gas is:
- Affordable: Natural gas costs less to use than electricity, propane and heating oil, keeping customers’ monthly bills lower.
- Abundant and Domestic: There is more than a 100-year supply of natural gas in the United States and 98 percent of the natural gas used in the U.S. comes from North America.
- Spurs Economic Development: The natural gas industry currently employs nearly 3 million Americans, and is adding even more jobs, providing a boost to the American economy.
- Safe: Natural gas appliances have a great safety record and state-of-the-art equipment now has advanced capabilities like auto-shut off.
- Clean: A natural gas home leaves about half the carbon footprint of an all-electric home.
To learn more about the benefits of natural gas, visit CenterPointEnergy.com/GasIsBetter.