- Feb. 23: Less than two years after beginning the installation of smart electric meters in the Houston area, CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric LLC installed its one millionth meter.
- March 14: CenterPoint Energy launched new account service enhancements, giving natural gas customers even more convenient options accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week through CenterPointEnergy.com or its automated phone system.
- March 18: The Texas Supreme Court issued its ruling on the appeal filed by a subsidiary of CenterPoint Energy, Inc. and certain other parties from the stranded cost true-up order issued in 2004 by the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUC). The Court affirmed in part and reversed in part the PUC’s 2004 decision and remanded the case to the PUC for further action. Based on the Court’s decision and an earlier decision by the court of appeals, CenterPoint Energy estimates that, in the remand to the PUC, it will be entitled to seek recovery of approximately $922 million, plus interest.
- April 29: More than 160 CenterPoint Energy electric linemen and support personnel worked in Arkansas and Mississippi to help Entergy restore power to tens of thousands of their customers who were without power following tornadoes and severe storms that ripped through the Deep South.
- June 10: CenterPoint Energy, Inc. announced that the Texas Supreme Court has denied all motions for rehearing in its true-up appeal. The matter moved to the Texas Public Utility Commission for action consistent with the Court’s March 18 decision.
- June 13: Texas’ biggest electric delivery utilities announced that their state will make history by jumpstarting the market for smart meter applications and empowering customers to benefit from smart meter technology. The Biggest Energy Saver CampaignSM encouraged the development of new software applications to help customers easily understand and use information from their new smart meters. It also encouraged customers to make the most of their smart meter data by changing their habits to reduce their energy usage and control their electric costs.
- June 14: CenterPoint Energy - Thunder Pipeline Company, LLC, announced the start of a non-binding open season to gauge market interest in an expansion to support western Oklahoma production growth for delivery to markets in Oklahoma, and downstream interconnects with other intrastate and interstate pipelines including those in the Bennington, Okla., area and CenterPoint Energy Gas Transmission’s (CEGT) Line AD.
- Aug. 26: More than 80 CenterPoint Energy linemen and support personnel departed to help Pepco restore widespread power outages in Washington, D.C., following Hurricane Irene.
- Nov. 3: CenterPoint Energy Services, Inc., acquired Asgard Energy, LLC effective Nov. 1. Asgard, headquartered in Denver, Colo., is a natural gas marketing company that supplies natural gas to commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential customers in five states including Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming and West Virginia.