Natural Gas Line and Meter Inspection
To ensure safe and reliable service to our customers, federal regulations require CenterPoint Energy to periodically inspect its equipment, including the piping and natural gas meter the company owns.
- CenterPoint Energy owns the natural gas meter and the piping that comes into it from the distribution main line.
- Customers own the piping that runs from the meter to the natural gas appliances and it is the customer's responsibility to maintain this piping.
For Your Safety
- Do not store items on or around your meter
- Keep meter clear of landscaping that obstructs access or visibility
- Do not wrap or insulate meter
- Do not tie pets to the meter installation
- Do not allow children to climb on or play near meter
- Use caution when using lawn equipment around meter
- Do not tamper with meter or attempt to service or maintain the meter yourself
- If meter is damaged or you suspect a gas leak, please call CenterPoint Energy immediately