Energy-Saving Efficiency Tips & Advice
Cut energy bills with these handy tips
Why wait to save? Check out this energy-saving advice so you can begin saving energy and money for your business today.
Heating and cooling
- Choose the right HVAC equipment for your office's needs. Don't oversize HVAC equipment; choose high-efficiency models. Be sure your HVAC equipment delivers the right amount of heating, cooling or ventilation for the space it serves. Too large a unit wastes energy, and too small a unit can't do the job. Always consider buying equipment that is more efficient than the minimum standard, since any additional purchase cost will often more than pay for itself in increased energy savings.
- Perform regular maintenance of your HVAC equipment. Replace or clean filters and coils and have an experienced professional tune up your equipment on a regular basis.
- Use window coverings to your advantage: close them to keep out the winter cold or summer heat; and open them for free heat on sunny days in the winter.
- Use exhaust fans as little as possible, especially during unoccupied hours.
- Draw in naturally cool outside air with open windows or exhaust fans for cooling season's moderate days.
- Eliminate heating and cooling system use in vestibules to create an airlock against outside temperatures.
General office equipment
- Turn office equipment "off" when not in use.
- You can control the run time of your equipment with automatic controls or occupancy sensors. Use energy-efficient office equipment that can enter a low-power "sleep" mode and awaken automatically when needed again.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents and consider high-intensity discharge (HID) lights for parking. The compact fluorescent lamp's miniature U-shaped fluorescent tube and ballast design is super energy-efficient and fits many of the fixtures where you already use incandescent bulbs. HID lights include mercury, vapor, metal halide and sodium. They are excellent, long-lived and efficient choices for parking and security lighting.