Minneapolis - W. 50th Street
Scheduled Start Date: July 17, 2017
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
Crews from CenterPoint Energy will begin replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Minneapolis on July 17, 2017. Project construction is expected to last until Fall 2017. (Frequent updates will be posted on the "Project Status" link below.) Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin installing natural gas mains along the following streets (see map below):
- Xerxes Avenue S. from W. 47th Street to W. 54th Street
- Beard Avenue S. from W. 49th Street to W. 50th Street
- W. 50th Street from Ewing Avenue S. to Upton Avenue S.
- W. 52nd Street from Xerxes Avenue S. to Washburn Avenue S.
The crews will begin on Xerxes Avenue S., starting at W. 47th Street going south to W. 54th Street. Then they will move onto Beard Avenue S. from W. 49th Street to W. 50th Street, and also on W. 52nd Street from Xerxes Avenue S. to Washburn Avenue S. They will finish on W. 50th Street, starting at Ewing Avenue S. going west to Upton Avenue S.
Two-way traffic will be maintained on the affected streets. Parking and lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the gas service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer’s gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction—typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer’s yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.