Minneapolis - Theodore Wirth Park
Scheduled Start Date: July 16, 2018
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
Beginning in the week of July 16, 2018, and ending in late Fall 2018, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis along the following streets:
- Xerxes Avenue N. between Lowry Avenue N. and 44th Avenue N.
- Washburn Avenue N. between Lowry Avenue N. and 45th Avenue N.
- Victory Memorial Drive between 44th Avenue N. and 45th Avenue N.
- Vincent Avenue N. between Lowry Avenue N. and 44th Avenue N.
- Upton Avenue N. between Dowling Avenue N. and 44th Avenue N.
- Thomas Avenue N. between 42nd Avenue N. 44th Avenue N.
- Lowry Avenue N. between Xerxes Avenue N. and Washburn Avenue N.
- 34th Avenue N. between Xerxes Avenue N. and Washburn Avenue N.
- 36th Avenue N. between Xerxes Avenue N. and Washburn Avenue N.
- 39th Avenue N. between Russell Avenue N. and Penn Avenue N.
- 41st Avenue N. between Xerxes Avenue N. and Vincent Avenue N.
- 42nd Avenue N. between Xerxes Avenue N. and Washburn Avenue N., and between Vincent Avenue N. and Upton Avenue N.
- 44th Avenue N. between Xerxes Avenue N. and Thomas Avenue N.
The crews will most likely be installing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines on Queen Avenue N. between 44th Avenue N. and Dowling Avenue N. in the spring 2019.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- The crews will be installing natural gas mains on both sides of the following roads: Washburn Avenue N., Vincent Avenue N., Upton Avenue N., Thomas Avenue N. and Queen Avenue N. During these installations, the crews will install a gas main along one side of a street at any given time. The other side of the street will be open for parking and pedestrian access on the sidewalk. When the crews alternate, they will reopen the previously closed side of a street.
- Residents and businesses will have access to and from their properties.
- If the crews need to perform work on the weekends, they will work within the weekend hours approved by the City of Minneapolis.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction—typically the boulevard, lawn, sidewalk and road.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please visit its web page to find out more about our project and to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What if Q3 Contracting doesn’t finish all restoration in 2018?
CenterPoint Energy’s “Theodore Wirth Park” project may end in the 2019 construction season if necessary. While Michels Corporation will finish the natural gas main installations and the service line connections in 2018, Q3 Contracting will work behind Michels Corporation, restoring the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction. If restoration is not finished in 2018 because the weather is unconducive for permanent restoration, Q3 Contracting will temporarily restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by Michels Corporation’s construction. Q3 Contracting will return in the spring and summer 2019 construction season to permanently restore these areas.
For examples of permanent and temporary restoration, please see our Restoration Practices and Updates
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Frequent updates will be posted on the Project Status page below. In addition, you can contact one of the following CenterPoint Energy resources. Please reference the project name or number 86283611:
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 612-321-5369
- Communication Specialist, Hannah Gullickson:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: 612-321-5042
We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you.