Minneapolis - East Hennepin Avenue
Scheduled Start Date: April 2018
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
In conjunction with construction from Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis, CenterPoint Energy will be replacing existing natural gas pipeline in Minneapolis along the following streets:
- East Hennepin Avenue from 5th Street NE to Main Street
- 5th Street NE from East Hennepin Avenue to the 5th Street NE bridge over the Northstar Line
- A short section of pipe replacement on Nicollet Island
CenterPoint Energy’s contractor Michels Corporation will begin the work in April or May 2018 and will finish the work in at least twelve weeks. Further construction will be done by road contractors from Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis.
Frequent updates will be posted on CenterPoint Energy’s website closer to the project’s start date. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the natural gas service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer's gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction--typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer's yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer's property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.