Project Status - Minneapolis - Crystal Lake Area
Today on Monday, September 16, crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, are finishing the final natural gas work for this project. The work includes putting the existing natural gas mains out of service since the new ones are installed.
Last week the crews finished the natural gas service line connections. Crews from Q3 Contracting, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s work outside the limits of the city’s project.
This week, contractors for the City of Minneapolis are beginning the city’s Street Resurfacing Program
. For more information on the city’s project, please visit its web page. We appreciate your patience throughout the construction process.
Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, are continuing to connect natural gas service lines to the new mains south of Memorial Parkway. They will continue the rest of the project’s connections into September. We appreciate your patience as we replace our infrastructure.
Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, are continuing to connect natural gas service lines to the new mains. All the project’s natural gas service lines on Queen Avenue N. are done. The crews are finishing Penn Avenue N. Then the crews will transition to the project’s route south of Memorial Parkway between Newton and Irving Avenues N.
- Within approximately the end of the week of August 19, crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will replace all the natural gas mains for this project.
- The crews are continuing to connect natural gas service lines to the new mains along the project’s selected routes north of 45th Avenue N. Within the rest of August and going into September, the crews will be connecting service lines to the new mains south of 45th Avenue N.
- Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, have replaced natural gas main on Oliver Avenue N. between 45th and 47th Avenues N.
- The crews are continuing to replace natural gas main on 45th Avenue N. between Humboldt Avenue N. and Osseo Road for approximately one more week. After this, the crews will return to several intersections along this route to connect the new main to the existing mains; this part of the project will take approximately two or three weeks.
- For approximately one week since Wednesday, July 31, the crews will replace natural gas main on the west and east sides of Queen and Penn Avenues N. between 45th and 47th Avenues N. While the crews are working on one side of the road at a time, parking will be available on the opposite side. The crews will move the “no parking” signs as they progress.
- The crews are beginning to connect natural gas service lines to the new mains on Oliver Avenue N. between 45th and 47th Avenues N. The connections on this road will last into the week of August 5.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
From the week of July 1 to within September 2019, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains, connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains, and moving any inside residential meters to the outside of the homes in the Crystal Lake Area in Minneapolis.
CenterPoint Energy’s work will be done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis. CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Q3 Contracting, will restore the areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction outside the city’s work—typically the boulevard, sidewalks and lawns. The city will pave the roads affected by construction in this area. For more information on the city’s project, please visit the city’s “Street Resurfacing Program
” web page and look under “Crystal Lake Area.”
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Residents and local businesses will have access to their properties.
- Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
- In addition to the natural gas service line installation, some customers may also have their inside gas meters moved to the outside of their homes as part of CenterPoint Energy’s long-term improvement project called “Moving Gas Meters Outside.” Please
click here to find out more about our project and
click here to see a one-page fact sheet with photographs of a meter move.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For any questions, you can contact one of the following resources:
- Hannah Gullickson – 612-321-5546
Please reference the project name or number 87757734 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.