Project Status - Minneapolis - Broadway Street NE
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, are progressing in CenterPoint Energy’s “Broadway Street NE” project. Below are the construction details for this update:
- The crews have installed natural gas main along Broadway Street from Hoover Street NE to Stinson Boulevard NE. They are installing west and are approaching Taft Street NE.
- From Monday, May 21, to Thursday, May 31, the crews will close two northbound lanes on Stinson Boulevard NE for less than one block south of Broadway Street NE. Drivers can go northbound on Stinson Boulevard NE past Broadway Street NE, but they can’t turn right onto Broadway Street NE from Stinson Boulevard NE.
- Crews from the City of Minneapolis have closed Broadway Street NE from Stinson Boulevard NE to Industrial Boulevard NE for the city’s “Broadway Street NE” project. Although one lane is open on Broadway Street NE from Stinson Boulevard NE to Hoover Street NE, Broadway Street NE is closed to through traffic from Hoover Street NE to Industrial Street NE. For more information on the city’s construction, please visit the city’s “Broadway Street NE” project and “Mid-City Industrial Reconstruction” project.
Construction is progressing on CenterPoint Energy’s “Broadway Street NE” project, which began on April 2, 2018. Below are the construction details for this update:
- Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have finished installing natural gas mains at the intersection of Industrial Boulevard NE and Broadway Street NE. Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have been restoring the hard surfaces affected by Michels Corporation’s construction. The soft surface restoration will occur after the hard surface restoration.
- Next, crews from Michels Corporation are installing natural gas mains along Broadway Street, starting at Hoover Street NE and heading west.
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
Crews from CenterPoint Energy will begin replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Minneapolis on April 2, 2018. Project construction is expected to last into June 2018. (Frequent updates will be posted on this Project Status page.) Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will be installing natural gas mains along Broadway Street NE between Industrial Boulevard NE and Johnson Street NE. The crews will begin work at Industrial Boulevard NE and progress west toward Johnson Street NE.
This project will be done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s “Broadway Street NE
” project, which will begin in Spring 2018, and “Mid-City Industrial
” project, which will begin in late Spring or early Summer 2018. For more information on the projects, please visit their respective web pages.
Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the natural ga service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer's gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction--typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer's yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer's property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.