Project Status - Minneapolis - 8th Street S.
CenterPoint Energy is complete with its 8th Street South project. CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, installed the natural gas mains and connected natural gas service lines to the installed mains along 8th Street S. between Marquette Avenue S. and 5th Avenue S., according to the Map of Construction. The areas affected by Michels Corporation’s construction have been restored.
CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience during the construction process.
Further construction is being done by other utility companies in preparation for the City of Minneapolis’s “8th Street S. Reconstruction” project, which will begin in 2019.
Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, are currently working along 8th Street S. between 2nd Avenue S. and 3rd Avenue S. They will be installing natural gas main and connecting natural gas service lines to this main. This process will take approximately three weeks, including temporary restoration.
Xcel Energy is currently working along 8th Street S. between Marquette Avenue S. and 2nd Avenue S.
Crews from CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will begin CenterPoint Energy’s “8th Street S.” project this Monday, June 4. Below are the construction details for this update:
- The crews will begin working at Marquette Avenue S., working along 8th Street S. toward 2nd Avenue S.
- The crews will be obstructing the southernmost eastbound drive lanes during construction.
- From 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, there will be one lane of traffic on 8th Street S. From 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. also Monday through Friday, there will be two lanes of traffic on 8th Street S.
- Please see our schedule below for more details.
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
Beginning on Monday, June 4, and ending within late July 2018, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains and connecting natural gas service lines to the installed mains in Minneapolis along the southern (eastbound) side of 8th Street S. between Marquette Avenue S. and 5th Avenue S.
CenterPoint Energy’s construction is happening concurrently with construction by other utility companies during the 2018 season. All of these companies’ construction projects are in preparation for the City of Minneapolis’s “8th Street S. Reconstruction
” project, which will begin in 2019 and last into 2020. For more information on the city’s project, please visit its website.
What is the anticipated schedule?
- For the first four weeks, the crews will be working between Marquette Avenue S. and halfway between 2nd Avenue S. and 3rd Avenue S. During this time, the crews will install the natural gas main for two weeks, connect the natural gas service lines to the mains for one week, and restore the areas affected by their construction for one week.
- For the next three weeks, the crews will be crossing 5th Avenue S. During this time, they will be installing the natural gas main for two weeks and restoring the areas affected by their construction for one week.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- The crews will maintain two lanes of traffic on both 8th Street S. near 2nd Avenue S. and on 5th Avenue S. crossing 8th Street S.
- None of the aforementioned roads will be fully closed by CenterPoint Energy’s crews.
- The lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
How may the natural gas service line installations affect customers?
- As part of this main project, the crews will be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
- Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CNP will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Frequent updates will be posted on this Project Status page. For questions, you can call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369, our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042, or our Communication Specialist, Hannah Gullickson, at 612-321-5546. Please reference the “Minneapolis – 8th Street S.” project or the number 85491388 when calling. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Thank you very much.