Minneapolis - 5th Avenue S.
Scheduled Start Date: August 3, 2017
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
Crews from CenterPoint Energy will begin replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Minneapolis on Thursday, August 3. Project construction is expected to last until late November 2017. (Frequent updates will be posted on the "Project Status" link below.) Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin installing natural gas mains along the following streets (see map below):
- The northbound curb side of 5th Avenue S. from E. 42nd Street to E. 49th Street
- The westbound curb side of E. 43rd Street from 3rd Avenue S. to Columbus Avenue S.
- The westbound curb side of E. 48th Street from 2nd Avenue S. to Portland Avenue S. (County Road 35)
Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the natural gas service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer's gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction--typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer's yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer's property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.