Minneapolis - 4th Street NE
Scheduled Start Date: Late Summer 2018
When, why, and where is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
Beginning in late Summer 2018 and ending within Fall 2018, CenterPoint Energy’s contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains in Minneapolis along the following streets:
- 4th Street NE from Broadway Street NE to 3rd Avenue NE
- 9th Avenue NE from University Avenue NE (Highway 47) to 4th Street NE
- The intersection of 8th Avenue NE and 4th Street NE
- 7th Avenue NE from University Avenue NE to 5th Street NE
- 6th Avenue NE from University Avenue NE to 5th Street NE
- 4th Avenue NE from University Avenue NE to 5th Street NE
What is the estimated traffic impact?
Construction will occur in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
The crews will restore the disturbed areas affected by our work outside the county construction zone. This may consist of lawn restoration and sidewalk or street restoration as work dictates.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the gas service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer’s gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction—typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer’s yard.
What is the impact on customers when natural gas service lines are installed?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience. For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042.