Minneapolis 2019 Belt Line Project
Scheduled Start Date: April 8, 2019
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for the Belt Line?CenterPoint Energy will be replacing an existing natural gas distribution main with modern materials in Minneapolis from April 8 to late fall 2019. The replacement gas main project will also involve replacing existing service lines and meters in some areas. Work will occur in 2- to 3-block segments at a time. Project construction will occur along these streets in Minneapolis:
- Portland Avenue S. from E. 60th Street to E. 54th Street
- E. 55th Street from Portland Avenue S. to 14th Avenue S.
- 14th Avenue S. from E. 55th Street to E. 35th Street
- 15th Avenue S. from E. 35th Street to Midtown Greenway
Between April and July 2019, crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be constructing the project in phases:
- Phase 1: Gas main and service line work will start on the Portland Avenue S. segment between E. 60th Street and E. 54th Street. Gas main and service line work will also be in progress on Columbus Avenue S. between E. 56th Street and E. 54th Street.
- Phase 2: Gas main and service line work will start on 14th Avenue S. between E. 55th Street and Minnehaha Creek.
- Phase 3: Between July and October, another gas distribution main will be replaced on 14th Avenue S. between E. 55th Street and Midtown Greenway and include work on 15th Avenue S.
Each phase of construction includes restoration of disturbed roadways, sidewalks, boulevards and yards to original condition.
Minnehaha Creek Watershed District
CenterPoint Energy is working in coordination with the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD), which is reviewing Permit 19-063 for conformance with the District’s rules. CenterPoint Energy is proposing to install approximately 5 miles of natural gas pipeline via open trench from approximately 60th Street East and Portland Avenue South to approximately 29th Street East and 15th Avenue South in the City of Minneapolis. MCWD regulates the project under our Erosion Control and Floodplain Alteration rules. The natural gas line will tie into an existing connection approximately 30 feet away from the south bank of Minnehaha Creek and approximately 90 feet from away from the north bank of Minnehaha Creek and will not require directional boring under the Creek. The work within the 100-year floodplain will be temporary and restored to existing grade conditions.
Contact Heidi Quinn with questions or concerns regarding the permit at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 952-641-4504. Additional information can be found on the MCWD website regarding Permit 19-063
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
Lane restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. If any closures are necessary, they will be minimized. Local access will be maintained.
CenterPoint Energy has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. In addition, you can contact one of the following CenterPoint Energy resources:
Communication Specialist, Hannah Gullickson