Project Status - Minneapolis 2019 Belt Line Project
Crews from Minnesota Limited, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be performing the following construction during the week of April 22:
- The crews are continuing to close 23rd Avenue N. between McNair Avenue N. and the alley between Queen Avenue N. and Penn Avenue N. to through traffic.
- Beginning on Monday, April 22, the crews will close McNair Avenue N. between Sheridan Avenue N. and Washburn Avenue N. and Xerxes Avenue N. between Washburn Avenue N. and Glenwood Parkway to through traffic. Northbound and southbound traffic will be maintained along the intersections. During this time, they will be removing the existing natural gas main and installing the new one. They will be gradually paving and reopening sections of the road by the beginning of May.
Crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, have installed 2 percent of the natural gas mains for the Minneapolis 2019 Belt Line project.
Natural gas main installations
For the weeks of April 15 and 22, the crews will continue to close E. 55th Street to through traffic from Columbus Avenue S. to Portland Avenue S. During this closure, northbound and southbound traffic will be closed at the intersections of Park Avenue S. and Columbus Avenue S. Detour signs will be on site.
In addition, the crews will be installing natural gas mains along the following streets during the week of April 15:
- Heading north on Portland Avenue S. from just south of E. 56th Street to E. 56th Street
- Heading east on E. 56th Street to Columbus Avenue S.
- Heading north on Columbus Avenue S. to E. 54th Street
Natural gas service line connections
Also during the week of April 15, the crews will be connecting the final of the natural gas service lines to the installed natural gas mains along Portland Avenue S. between E. 56th Street and E. 60th Street. Temporary blacktop will be placed in these areas when the service line connections are complete. The crews will be performing further construction in this area for the Minneapolis 2019 Belt Line.
In the middle of next week, approximately April 15 through 19, a crew will be moving to the east side of Portland Avenue between Diamond Lake Road and E. 54th Street, and to the south side of E. 54th Street between Portland Avenue and Park Avenue. During this time the following traffic plan will take place:
- Two-way traffic will be shifted to the west side of Portland Avenue S. and to the south side of E. 54th Street.
- There will be no parking on either side of the roads in these areas.
- Road signs on the closed sidewalks will detour pedestrian traffic to the opposite sidewalks.
- The bike lane on Portland Avenue between Diamond Lake Road and E. 54th Street will be closed.
Crews from Minnesota Limited, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be performing the following construction during the week of April 8:
- For the first half of this week, the crews will close Russell Avenue N. and Sheridan Avenue N. between 21st Avenue N. and 23rd Avenue N. During these closures, residents can access Russell Avenue N. from 21st Avenue N. and Sheridan Avenue N. from 24th Avenue N.
- For the second half of the week, the crews will close 23rd Avenue N. between Sheridan Avenue N., McNair Avenue N. and Penn Avenue N. and McNair Avenue N. between Sheridan Avenue N. and Russell Avenue N. The crews will alternate closing and opening Queen Avenue N. and Sheridan Avenue N. respectively.
- The dates and locations are subject to change due to the weather, the crew’s progress and agreements between CenterPoint Energy and the city of Minneapolis.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin construction on the Minneapolis 2019 belt line large-diameter gas main replacement project on Monday, April 8.
Diamond Lake Road and Portland Ave S.
For the first part of this project, the crews will be closing the north shoulder of Diamond Lake Road on the west side of Portland Avenue S. starting April 8 for construction of a new large-diameter steel gas main. Expect lane closures on Portland Avenue S. later in April as the construction progresses east across Portland. Restoration crews will closely follow behind the gas main construction for road paving and grass boulevard restoration in affected areas.
E. 55th St. and Portland Ave. S.
Also beginning on April 8 and lasting for the next few weeks, crews will begin large-diameter steel gas main construction on E. 55th Street at the west side of Chicago Avenue S., closing E. 55th Street between Chicago Avenue S. and Portland Avenue S. to through traffic. Later in April and into May the construction will progress west on E. 55th Street, then cross and continue south on Portland Avenue S. There will be lane closures and detours on Portland Avenue S. during this time. Additional updates will be posted here over the next couple of weeks as construction progresses.
Initially, there will be posting of "No Parking" signs on both the north and south sides of E. 55th Street between Chicago Avenue S. and Park Avenue S., with parking restrictions beginning on April 8. The no parking restrictions will continue west to Portland Avenue S. as construction progresses.
CenterPoint Energy on-site inspector and construction crew members will work with homeowners in the construction zone areas to coordinate access to driveways and parking during the new gas main installation. Generally speaking, driveways in the work zone will usually be blocked during the work day due to construction activities, but after clean-up at end of day will be accessible.
Restoration, repaving of roads, will closely follow behind the new gas main installation. The streets will open to normal traffic and parking as soon as possible. Again, more updates on construction and restoration timeframes will be posted as construction progresses.
Natural Gas Service Line Installations
For several weeks beginning on April 8, crews will be connecting natural gas service lines to the installed natural gas main along the following streets in the following order: Portland Avenue S. between E. 56th Street and E. 60th Street; E. 56th Street between Portland Avenue S. and Columbus Avenue S.; Columbus Avenue S. between E. 56th Street and E. 54th Street; and E. 54th Street between Columbus Avenue S. and Chicago Avenue S.
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
CenterPoint Energy will be replacing an existing natural gas distribution main with modern materials in Minneapolis from April 8 to late fall 2019. The replacement gas main project will also involve replacing existing service lines and meters in some areas. Work will occur in 2- to 3-block segments at a time. Project construction will occur along these streets in Minneapolis:
- Portland Avenue S. from E. 60th Street to E. 54th Street
- E. 55th Street from Portland Avenue S. to 14th Avenue S.
- 14th Avenue S. from E. 55th Street to E. 35th Street
- 15th Avenue S. from E. 35th Street to Midtown Greenway
Between April and July 2019, crews from Michels Corporation, CenterPoint Energy’s authorized contractor, will be constructing the project in phases:
- Phase 1: Gas main and service line work will start on the Portland Avenue S. segment between E. 60th Street and E. 54th Street. Gas main and service line work will also be in progress on Columbus Avenue S. between E. 56th Street and E. 54th Street.
- Phase 2: Gas main and service line work will start on 14th Avenue S. between E. 55th Street and Minnehaha Creek.
- Phase 3: Between July and October, another gas distribution main will be replaced on 14th Avenue S. between E. 55th Street and Midtown Greenway and include work on 15th Avenue S.
Each phase of construction includes restoration of disturbed roadways, sidewalks, boulevards and yards to original condition.
Minnehaha Creek Watershed District
CenterPoint Energy is working in coordination with the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD), which is reviewing Permit 19-063 for conformance with the District’s rules. CenterPoint Energy is proposing to install approximately 5 miles of natural gas pipeline via open trench from approximately 60th Street East and Portland Avenue South to approximately 29th Street East and 15th Avenue South in the City of Minneapolis. MCWD regulates the project under our Erosion Control and Floodplain Alteration rules. The natural gas line will tie into an existing connection approximately 30 feet away from the south bank of Minnehaha Creek and approximately 90 feet from away from the north bank of Minnehaha Creek and will not require directional boring under the Creek. The work within the 100-year floodplain will be temporary and restored to existing grade conditions.
Contact Heidi Quinn with questions or concerns regarding the permit at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 952-641-4504. Additional information can be found on the MCWD website regarding Permit 19-063
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
Lane restrictions will be anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. If any closures are necessary, they will be minimized. Local access will be maintained.
CenterPoint Energy has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. In addition, you can contact one of the following CenterPoint Energy resources:
Communication Specialist, Hannah Gullickson