Project Status - Mankato - Spruce Street
Crews from CenterPoint Energy have finished construction on their Spruce Street project in Mankato. Construction began on August 24 and lasted until late August 2017.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, installed natural gas mains and connected the natural gas service lines to the installed mains between the following streets: from Mills Street to Maxfield Street, and from 1st Avenue to 6th Avenue.
Further construction is being done by road contractors from the City of Mankato for the city’s “2017 Alley Improvements
” project. For more information on their project, please visit their website.
CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience during the construction process.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized contractor for CenterPoint Energy, are progressing in construction on the Spruce Street project in Mankato. Below are the following streets where the crews have installed natural gas mains (Phase 1) and are connecting natural gas service lines to the new mains (Phase 2):
- In the alley between 3rd Avenue and 4th Avenue from Chestnut Street to south of Maxfield Street
- In the alley between 4th Avenue and 5th Avenue
- The westbound curb side of Pine Street from 6th Avenue to 3rd Avenue
- Currently the crews are working in the alley between 3rd and 4th Avenues from Spruce to Pine Streets.
- Within the week of June 26, the crews will be working in the alleys between 3rd and 5th Avenues south of Pine Street.
- By Wednesday, June 28, the service lines south of Pine Street will be connected to the gas mains.
- Starting on Thursday, June 29, the crews will be working on 1st, 2nd and 3rd Avenues north of Chestnut Street.
There will be no construction on Monday, May 29, to observe Memorial Day. Construction will resume on Tuesday, May 30. Any open excavations will be covered by safety barricades, barrels and cones.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized contractor for CenterPoint Energy, are beginning to connect natural gas service lines (Phase 2) to the natural gas mains (Phase 1) that were installed earlier in the Spruce Street project in Mankato.
Starting on May 30, the Phase 2 crews will be connecting natural gas service lines to the new mains west of 3rd Avenue (County Road 5).
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized contractor for CenterPoint Energy, have finished installing natural gas mains in the following streets:
- On 5th Avenue from Pine Street to Maxfield Street
- The alleys between 5th Avenue and 4th Avenue
- The alleys between 3rd Avenue and 2nd Avenue
For the week of May 15, the crews are installing mains on the following streets:
- In the east (northbound) lane of 3rd Avenue (County Road 5) from Chestnut Street to Pine Street.
- The crews will be shutting down access on 3rd Avenue from Chestnut to Pine Streets periodically this week where active construction is occurring. When feasible, the crews will remove the traffic barriers at the end of the day. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- After the crews finish on 3rd Avenue between Chestnut and Pine Streets, they plan to begin work in the alley between 4th and 3rd Avenues.
Beginning this week of May 15, the crews are connecting the natural gas service lines to the new mains between 3rd and 2nd Avenues.
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
Crews from CenterPoint Energy will begin replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Mankato the week of April 24, 2017. Project construction is expected to last until mid-June. (Any changes in project dates will be noted on CenterPoint Energy’s website.) Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin installing natural gas mains between the following streets: from Mills Street to Maxfield Street, and from 1st Avenue to 6th Avenue.
Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction typically happens in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the gas service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer’s gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction—typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer’s yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.