Project Status - Golden Valley - Golden Valley Road 2018 Belt Line Project
Crews from Minnesota Limited, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin construction on the Golden Valley 2018 Belt Line on Monday, April 23. Below are the construction details:
- On Monday, April 23, the crews will begin locating underground utilities and installing BMPs along the following roads: Golden Valley Road between Winnetka Avenue N. and Rhode Island N.; and Rhode Island N. and 10th Avenue N. from Golden Valley Road to Winnetka Avenue N.
- On Wednesday, April 25, Crew 1 will begin installing the natural gas Belt Line system along the median lanes of Golden Valley Road between Winnetka Avenue N. and Rhode Island N. There will be one eastbound lane and one westbound lane open on Golden Valley Road in the closure area. Traffic control devices will be located to provide ingress/egress of the south entrance to the fire station.
- From April 25 to June 1, Crew 2 will fully close 10th Avenue N. and Rhode Island Avenue N. from Winnetka Avenue N. to the parking entrance into Golden Valley’s Public Works Garage. Additionally, there will be a lane closure on Rhode Island Avenue N. from the Public Works Garage’s parking entrance to the northern parking entrance into the Golden Valley Government Center. (Please see the Map of 10th Ave, Rhode Island Ave and Golden Valley Rd Closures.) This northern entrance will remain open during construction.
- During this closure, access to underground parking at Calvary Center Cooperative will remain open during construction. Drivers who do not park in the underground parking will need to use the entrance off Golden Valley Road. Detour signs will be posted on site.
- Also during this closure, drivers entering or exiting the Hennepin County Library will need to do so through the entrance off Winnetka Avenue N. Detour signs will be posted on site.
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
In the 2018 construction season, CenterPoint Energy will be replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Golden Valley. The project will begin in April and end in the fall. Crews from an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor will be installing natural gas mains along the following roads:
- Winnetka Avenue N. and Golden Valley Road intersection
- Winnetka Avenue N. from 10th Avenue N. to Orkla Drive
- Rhode Island Avenue N. from 10th Avenue to Golden Valley Road
- Golden Valley Road from Winnetka Avenue N. to Glenwood Parkway
A pre-construction open house will be held in Golden Valley by personnel from CenterPoint Energy, Hennepin County, and representatives from the City of Golden Valley. This open house will be open to the public and will answer any questions regarding the project. The open house is scheduled for Thursday, March 15, 2018 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. in the Golden Valley Council Chambers at 7800 Golden Valley Road.
CenterPoint Energy’s “Golden Valley Road 2018 Belt Line” project will happen in segments along the construction route, rather than all at once, in coordination with Hennepin County and the City of Golden Valley. Frequent updates will be posted on CenterPoint Energy’s website closer to the project’s start date. Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
What is the background of this project?
This project is a continuation of CenterPoint Energy’s Belt Line project in Minnesota, which began in 2012 and will continue until approximately 2021, when CenterPoint Energy’s Belt Line system will be fully replaced. (The Belt Line system is a series of natural gas distribution mains along routes from Brooklyn Center to Bloomington and from Golden Valley to Minneapolis.) In the 2017 construction season, CenterPoint Energy finished the “Golden Valley Road and Bassett Creek
” project, which occurred along Golden Valley Road from west of Bassett Creek Drive to the Theodore Wirth Golf Course.
Construction will happen in two phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is restoring the areas affected by construction--typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer's yard.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.