Project Status - Edina - France Avenue S.
Construction is finished on the France Avenue S. project!
Crews from CenterPoint Energy have finished the France Avenue S. construction project in Edina. This is what the crews finished:
- Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, installed natural gas main along France Avenue S. between Highway 62 and W. 55th Street.
- The crews connected natural gas service lines to the installed main along this construction route.
- Crews from Q3, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have restored the areas affected by CenterPoint Energy’s construction. The crews have removed the traffic barriers associated with CenterPoint Energy’s work.
- Further construction is being done by crews from Hennepin County along France Avenue S. (County Road 17) between Highway 62 and 51st Street. For more information on Hennepin County’s work in Edina, please visit Hennepin County’s website.
- CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience during the construction process.
Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, are progressing in construction on the France Avenue S. project in Edina. While active construction is occurring, the current lane and road closures will remain in effect. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe. Below are the details for construction progress and traffic plans:
- The crews have been installing natural gas main along France Avenue S. from W. 55th Street to Highway 62 since July 19, 2017.
- For the week of July 31 until August 4 or early into the week of August 7, the crews will be working in two places with their respective traffic plans:
- The crews will close W. 58th Street on either side of France Avenue S. Drivers can still drive northbound and southbound on France Avenue S. Detour signs will lead drivers back onto W. 58th Street along W. 60th Street, Xerxes Avenue S., W. 54th Street, and either France Avenue S. or Wooddale Avenue S.
- The crews will be installing natural gas main across France Avenue S. just north of Highway 62. While active construction is occurring, two-way traffic will be maintained. The crews will be closing two lanes at a time, starting on the southbound lanes on France Avenue S. and working toward the northbound lanes.
- The crews are currently connecting natural gas service lines to the upgraded main along France Avenue S. from W. 55th Street to Highway 62. They began work on Friday, July 28, after the main was installed. They will finish by Friday, August 4.
- Crews from Q3, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will restore the areas affected by construction. Restoration will begin in the week of August 7, 2017. Traffic barriers will remain up until restoration is complete.
- Crews from Hennepin County will be performing construction after crews from CenterPoint Energy are done. For more information on Hennepin County’s work in Edina, please visit Hennepin County’s website.
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?Crews from CenterPoint Energy will begin replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Edina on Wednesday, July 19. Project construction is expected to last for one month. (Frequent updates will be posted on CenterPoint Energy’s website.) Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin installing natural gas mains along France Avenue S. from Highway 62 to W. 55th Street. (See map below.) The crews will install main along the following lanes on France Avenue S.:
- The northbound lane from Highway 62 to W. 62nd Street
- The southbound lane from W. 60th to W. 55th Streets
What are the traffic plans?
- Parking and lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- The crews will close the curb side lane of France Avenue S. wherever active construction is occurring, but two-way traffic will be maintained on France Avenue S.
- For a limited time within the project, the crews will close the eastbound entrance from W. 58th Street to France Avenue S. Detour signs will lead drivers to Wooddale Avenue S. and W. 54th Street. Drivers going westbound on W. 58th Street will have access through the intersection of W. 58th Street and France Avenue S.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the gas service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer’s gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction—typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer’s yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer’s property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.