Project Status - Columbia Heights and Hilltop - Central Avenue NE (Highway 65)
Construction is complete on CenterPoint Energy’s Central Avenue NE (Highway 65) project in Columbia Heights and Hilltop. Below are the construction details:
- Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, finished installing the natural gas main along Central Avenue NE (Highway 65) between 46 ½ Avenue NE and 51st Avenue NE. (See map below.) They also connected the natural gas service lines to the installed mains. The crews began on August 14, 2017, and finished by Wednesday, September 20.
- Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have restored the areas affected by CenterPoint Energy’s construction. They finished by Friday, September 29.
- CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience during the construction season.
Construction is nearing completion on CenterPoint Energy’s Central Avenue NE (Highway 65) project in Columbia Heights and Hilltop. Below are the construction details:
- Crews from Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will finish installing the natural gas main by Wednesday, September 20.
- Currently, the crews have closed the right lane on Central Avenue NE just north of the northern entrance and exit of 51st Court NE. This closure will be lifted for the September 16 and 17 weekend. During that time, steel plates will remain in place until Monday, September 18. Crews from Q3, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will be restoring the northern entrance/exit of 51st Court NE on September 18.
- Crews from Q3 will finish restoring all the areas affected by CenterPoint Energy’s construction by Friday, September 29.
What is CenterPoint Energy doing for construction?
Crews from CenterPoint Energy will begin replacing an existing natural gas pipeline in Columbia Heights and Hilltop the week of August 14, 2017. Project construction is expected to last for two months. (Frequent updates will be posted on this "Project Status" page.) Michels Corporation, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will begin installing natural gas mains along Central Avenue NE (Highway 65) between 46 ½ Avenue NE and 51st Avenue NE.
Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring. The lane restrictions are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
Construction will happen in three phases:
- Phase 1 is installing the natural gas distribution main.
- Phase 2 is connecting the natural ga service lines to the new main along the same construction route. (A gas service line is a small-diameter pipe connecting the customer's gas service to the main line in the street.)
- Phase 3 is restoring the areas affected by construction--typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer's yard.
How may construction affect customers?
As part of this main project, the crews will also be replacing several natural gas service lines that connect from the main to the customer's property. Customers will experience a short disruption of gas service as the crews are installing the gas service line.
Crews may have to dig in the ground on your property in the utility easement to complete the task of service and main distribution line replacement. If a customer’s property is disturbed, CenterPoint Energy will restore the hard and soft surfaces affected by construction at no cost to you.
How can I contact CenterPoint Energy?For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.