Minneapolis - 16th Street East and I-35W
Scheduled Start Date: May 4, 2018
Where, when, and why is CenterPoint Energy performing construction?
Beginning on Friday, May 4, and ending within July 2018, CenterPoint Energy’s contractor, Michels Corporation, will be replacing natural gas mains lines in Minneapolis on E. 17th Street crossing Portland Avenue and underneath T.H. 65 at E. 16th Street. (Please see our Map of Construction and Detour Route
The construction will take place in two phases. The first phase will take place on E. 17th Street crossing Portland Avenue, starting May 4 and expecting to last a few weeks. The second phase will take place underneath T.H. 65, ending in July 2018. The reason for the break is that CenterPoint Energy’s work will be done in coordination with the City of Minneapolis’s and Minnesota Department of Transportation’s “35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown
” project. For more information on that project, please visit its website.
What are the estimated traffic impacts?
- Parking on E. 17th Street near Portland Avenue will be restricted for the pipeline shut down procedure. When pipeline installation begins, E. 17th Street will be closed off at Portland Avenue. Meanwhile, E. 17th Street will be turned into a two-way road off Park Avenue and a detour will be put in place.
- When the pipeline installation crosses Portland Avenue, we will maintain two through lanes of traffic but parking will be restricted. E. 17th Street will be open after this crossing is completed.
- Work underneath T.H. 65 at E. 16th Street will not affect traffic on either road.
- Lane restrictions are anticipated in areas where active construction is occurring and are necessary to keep both the public and construction personnel safe.
- Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, will restore the areas affected by CenterPoint Energy’s construction—typically the utility easement, the street, and the customer’s yard.
What is CenterPoint Energy’s mission, and how can I contact CenterPoint Energy?
At CenterPoint Energy, we are committed to providing timely and relevant information to our customers and the general public to minimize inconvenience or disruption due to our construction activities. CNP has provided safe, clean and efficient natural gas service to Minnesota communities for more than 145 years. We are proud of this record and strive to improve it by educating the public about the benefits of natural gas at CenterPointEnergy.com/BeSafe.
Frequent updates will be posted on our Project Status page below. For questions about the project, please call our Information Hotline at 612-321-5369 or our Communication Specialist at 612-321-5546. For questions about restoration (hard or soft surfaces) please call our Restoration Department at 612-321-5042. CenterPoint Energy wants to thank you for your patience.