Air Sealing and Insulation Rebate Program – Starts October 28th, 2014
Beginning Tuesday, October 28th, 2014, CenterPoint Energy will offer a rebate for residential air sealing and insulation upgrades. Qualifying upgrades to the attic or the exterior walls of your home can improve comfort, lower your utility bills, and earn you a rebate check from CenterPoint Energy.
Attic Air Sealing Only
30% of costs, $300 maximum
Attic Air Sealing + Qualifying Attic Insulation
30% of costs, $500 maximum
Attic Insulation Only
No Rebate Available
Qualifying Wall Insulation
30% of costs, $300 maximum
How the Program Works – 3 Easy Steps
Before you get started
To learn more about how to make your home more energy efficient, including how to prevent the heat leakage that contributes to ice dams, get a Standard Energy Audit from CenterPoint Energy. Our energy experts can help you:
- Pinpoint air leaks with an infrared inspection and a blower door test
- Determine whether your home needs additional insulation or air sealing
- Check your heating and cooling equipment
- Provide a detailed report with recommendations for your home
Learn more or schedule an audit by calling 888-240-4123!
Note: CenterPoint Energy highly recommends getting an energy audit before you move forward with a major improvement project, however, an audit is not required in order to participate in the Air Sealing and Insulation rebate program.
More on Step 1: Contact a Rebate Eligible Installer
To qualify for a CenterPoint Energy rebate, your upgrade project must be completed by a Rebate Eligible Installer. We recommend you get multiple bids before deciding which Rebate Eligible Installer you will work with.
**The list of Rebate Eligible Installers is not yet available. It will be posted here soon; please check back.**
More on Step 2: Complete a Qualifying Upgrade Project
To qualify for a CenterPoint Energy rebate, your upgrade project must be completed by a Rebate Eligible Installer. The rebate program begins October 28, 2014 – projects completed before that date will not qualify for a CenterPoint Energy rebate.
Qualifying Attic Weatherization Projects:
- Must include air sealing of all accessible attic air leaks. No rebate will be issued for attic upgrade projects that do not include sealing of all accessible attic air leaks.
- May also include attic insulation improved from a pre-existing R-value of R-30 or lower to a post R-value of R-50 or higher. No rebate will be issued for attic-insulation-only upgrade projects.
Qualifying Wall Insulation Projects:
- Are available only for homes with R-0 existing wall insulation around all sides.
- Must include wall insulation improved from a pre-existing R-value of R-0 around all sides of the home, to a post R-value of R-11 or higher around all sides of the home.
- Attic knee walls are excluded from this portion of the rebate program.
Rebate application forms are available from your Rebate Eligible Installer.
More on Step 3: Submit Application Documents
Two documents must be completed and submitted:
- 2014 Air Sealing and Insulation Rebate Application
- Invoice from Rebate Eligible Installer
Your Rebate Eligible Installer will have the rebate application. Required documents must be submitted and postmarked by December 31, 2014.
Send Completed Application Materials to:
PO Box 59038
Minneapolis, MN 55459-0038
Rebate Program Terms and Conditions
This rebate program applies only to Minnesota homes heated with natural gas from CenterPoint Energy. Rental properties are eligible to participate in this rebate program; however, it is the responsibility of the property owner to authorize all work to be performed on the home. Rebates will only be paid to the account holder.
Qualifying upgrade projects must be installed to serve heated/conditioned areas of the home. Rebate excludes upgrades to new construction, garages, 3-season rooms, basements, rim joists, crawl spaces, sheds, and workshops. All upgrade measures must be installed to manufacturer’s specifications and must meet all federal, state and local code requirements.
Rebates will not be issued for projects completed before October 28th, 2014.
For attic air sealing, the rebate will equal 30% of costs (material and labor) up to a maximum of $300.
For attic air sealing and qualifying attic insulation, the rebate will equal 30% of costs (material and labor) up to a maximum of $500.
For qualifying wall insulation, the rebate will equal 30% of costs (material and labor) up to a maximum of $300.
Costs not attributed to rebate-eligible measures will not be used to calculate rebate.
The total rebate will not exceed $800.
Rebates will be issued only for measures installed between October 28, 2014 and December 31, 2014. Rebate qualifications and amounts are subject to change. Completed rebate forms will be processed in the order in which they are received. Rebate funds are limited. Rebates will not be paid if funds are depleted prior to December 31, 2014. CenterPoint Energy Conservation Improvement Program (CIP) rebate programs may be cancelled or changed at any time. CenterPoint Energy issues cash rebates in the form of checks, not utility bill credits. CenterPoint Energy reserves the right to verify installed air sealing and insulation measures.
Required documents must be submitted and postmarked by December 31, 2014. This program ends December 31, 2014. It is the responsibility of the customer and Rebate Eligible Installer to ensure that required application documentation has been filled out completely and accurately, and that the documents have been submitted in a timely manner.
If you have questions about the Air Sealing and Insulation Rebate or how to qualify, please contact a Rebate Eligible Installer, or call 800-710-SAVE (800-710-7283).
Contractors interested in becoming Rebate Eligible Installers
- Contact Residential Science Resources at 651-200-3435 to get started
- Installer crew leaders must have active RBE-WHALCI (Residential Building Envelope Whole House Air Leakage Control Installer) certification from the Building Performance Institute - this is a rebate program pre-requisite.