Implement the energy-saving tips below and check out our energy-efficiency checklist to help make your facility more energy efficient, save money and energy.
Heating and cooling
- Choose the right HVAC equipment for your operation’s needs. Don't oversize HVAC equipment; choose high-efficiency models. Too large a unit wastes energy, and too small a unit can't do the job.
- Perform regular maintenance of your HVAC equipment. Replace or clean filters and coils and have an experienced professional tune up your equipment on a regular basis.
- Use window coverings to your advantage: close them to keep out the winter cold on cloudy days; and open them for free heat on sunny days.
- Eliminate heating and cooling system use in vestibules to create an airlock against outside temperatures.
General office equipment
- Turn office equipment "off" when not in use.
- Control the run time of equipment with automatic controls or occupancy sensors. Use energy-efficient office equipment that can enter a low-power "sleep" mode and awaken automatically when needed again.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents and consider high-intensity discharge (HID) light