FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
My Account What is My Account?Account Information How do I set up My Account?
My Account provides you with online access to your account information in a secure setting. You can:
- View and pay your bill online
- Enroll in account services like automatic payment and bill reminders
- Use the free My Energy Analyzer tool to discover energy savings
- View gas use for the past 24 months, if applicable.
- And much more
What is my User ID and password?
for My Account, you will need your account number which can be found on your bill. Once registered, sign in using your User ID, which is the email address you provided, and password you selected.
Your User ID for My Account is your email address, which is not case-sensitive. Your password is case sensitive and must be from eight to 20 characters, and have at least one number, one capital letter and one lower-case letter.What is the purpose of a security question?
You will be asked to choose a security question and provide an answer for an added layer of security in the event that you forget your password or need to create a new password.What if I forget my password?
If you forget your password, you will be required to answer the security question you selected. When you answer the question correctly, you'll be asked to reset your password. For your privacy and security, our customer service representatives do not have access to your password and cannot retrieve it for you.What if I forget my User ID?
Your User ID is your email address. If you forget your User ID, click Forgot User ID from the Sign in page, follow the steps to retrieve your User ID.What if I receive error messages when I try to register for My Account?
What if I change my email address?
Make sure all these steps have been completed:
- You have entered your account number correctly, including the dash, as it appears on your most recent bill.
- You have entered a valid house number from your most recent bill.
- You entered a valid e-mail address.
- You entered a first and last name.
- Your password is between eight and 20 characters long. Does it include: At least 1 numeric; at least 1 capital alpha; and at least 1 lower-case alpha character?
- You answered the security question.
- You entered your password information a second time.
- If you still receive an error message, contact us.
Your email address is also your My Account User ID. If your email address changes and you have a My Account profile, you'll need to update it right away. This will ensure that you continue to receive important account information, including your bill if you are paperless, and have access to your information. To update your email address, go to the My Profile tab, choose the "Contact Information" tab and select "Edit," next to your email address and follow the prompts.Can I manage multiple accounts in My Account?
Yes, if you're a registered My Account user, you'll use the same User ID and password for all your online accounts. Sign In and click on "Add an Account" at the lower right side of the screen, under "Other Options."
Can I view and print my most recent bill?Paying my bill online
Yes, once you are logged into My Account, click the "View Bill" link next to your current month's account information.Can I view past bills online?
When you select paperless billing, you can view up to 13 months of bills and payments. Your bill history begins the first month you begin paperless billing. To access, sign into My Account and from your "Account Details" screen, click "Payment History."What if I have questions about the charges on my bill?
Log into My Account and click the "View Bill" link at the top right of the My Account screen to view your current bill. Then click the "Back of Bill" link at the top of the page for a description of the charges that appear on your bill.How can I get my payment history?
You can also use our free My Energy Analyzer tool to learn more about the factors that contribute to your monthly energy use. From the Account Details page, select the My Energy Analyzer link that appears in the “Total Usage” section.
Paperless billing customers can view their payment and usage history for up to 13 months. Once logged into My Account, just click the "Payment History" link that appears on your Account Details page.How can I get my past gas usage?
My Account customers can view up to 24 months of your usage history. It appears on your Account Details page, in the "Total Usage" section.How is my gas meter read?
A meter reading is the method of measurement by which CenterPoint Energy determines how much natural gas you have used since the last meter reading and how much you should be billed. Meters may be read manually or remotely using automated meter reading equipment.What is an estimated bill?
For more information about meter reading, review the back of your natural gas bill. To do so, log into My Account, click the "View Bill" link that appears at the top of your Account Details page, then select the "Back of Bill" link.
You may receive an estimated bill if CenterPoint Energy is unable to read your meter during a particular billing period. Estimates are based on your past natural gas use and weather for the current billing period. CenterPoint Energy tries to read all customer meters regularly. You can help avoid estimated bills by reading your own gas meter.I would like to stop gas service. What do I need to do?
For detailed instructions on how to read your meter and where to send the meter reading, click "View Bill" then review the "Back of Bill" link for a description.
Click to expand “More Gas Options” then click the "Stop/Transfer Service" link on your Account Details page and complete the form. CenterPoint Energy will send your final bill and close out your account.I would like to transfer my gas service. What do I need to do?
Once logged into My Account, click to expand “More Gas Options” then click the "Stop/Transfer Service" link on your Account Details page and complete the form.How do I add/update my contact information?
CenterPoint Energy will send your final bill for your current location and start service at your new location. We will also give you a new account number. Once you have your new account number, you can add this account to your My Account profile.
To select paperless billing, set up automatic payments, enroll in Average Monthly Billing or Budget Plan (MN only) for your new account, click on the Billing & Payment section.
Can I make payment arrangements or request a payment extension online?
You can add/update your account information on the "My Profile" page within My Account. If your name changes, please call CenterPoint Energy
to update your account.
If you are having trouble paying your bill, you can request a payment arrangement or extension from the "Account Details" page in My Account. Click to expand “More Billing & Payment Options” and select “Request a Payment Arrangement.”Can I change the payment arrangements I've made?
To change credit or payment arrangements, you must call the number listed under "Contact Us" and talk with a CenterPoint Energy customer service representative during the hours shown.
What are my payment options?Paperless Billing How do I pay my bill online?
My Account payment options include:
- Make an immediate one-time payment. Pay by checking or savings account, or debit* or credit* card. You can choose to save your information for future payments.
*Debit and credit card payments include a small third-party service fee. CenterPoint Energy does not receive any portion of this fee.
- Schedule future payments. You can schedule future payments on any date before your due date.
- Set up automatic payments. Enroll to set up recurring, automatic payments from your checking or savings account.
- Paperless. If you would like to discontinue paper statements, select “Go Paperless” to the right of your current bill information on your “Account Details” screen.
How long does it take to process my online payment?
Register for or sign in to your online account, click the "Pay Bill" button on your Account Details screen.
You will see payment options, which include immediate payment, recurring automatic payments or scheduled payments. If you would like to turn off your paper bill, choose the “Go Paperless” option to the right of your current bill information on your Account Details screen.
You can also pay your bill online without registering by visiting CenterPointEnergy.com/PayBill
Online payments are immediate and processed on the date the payment is scheduled.Can I make a partial payment?
Yes, you can make a partial payment on your bill by entering the amount you choose to pay in the payment field. Any remaining balance not paid by the due date may be subject to a late fee.Can I make an overpayment?
If you would like to make payments in advance, you can make an overpayment on your bill by typing into the payment field the amount you'd like to pay. You will receive a message notifying you that the payment you are making will result in an overpayment.Can I cancel a payment I've scheduled?
If you make your payments online manually, you can cancel a pending or scheduled payment up until the day before the payment is scheduled from your Account Details page in the "Payment History" section.Is there a maximum amount I can pay using a credit or debit card?
There is a limit of $1,000 per credit or debit card transaction.Are there a maximum number of credit card transactions that can be processed?
You can make up to three credit card payments using the same credit card in a five-day period or up to three credit card payments on the same CenterPoint Energy account in a five-day period.Can I change the bank account I use to pay my bill online?
How do I pay my bill through my bank?
To delete or add a new back account, once you are logged into My Account:
- Go to the "My Profile" tab, and select Banking Information.
- To remove an existing bank account, click "Delete Bank Account" next to the account you'd like to remove.
- To add a new bank account, click "Add Bank Account" at the top of the page.
If you select to have your bill(s) paid automatically by your bank each month, you must change your bank selection at least two business days before the scheduled payment date to have your payment made from a different account.
Contact your bank to learn how to pay your natural gas bill through your bank's online service.
How do I select paperless billing?My Energy Analyzer How will I know when my bill is ready to pay?
Once you have logged in to My Account, click "Go Paperless" to the right of your current billing information from the Account Details screen.
- Or, on the Preferences tab, choose "Paperless" for your billing method.
We will send you an email notice when your bill is ready to view and pay online. Please add CenterPoint Energy email notification addresses to your contact list to prevent your spam filter from blocking or redirecting important messages. You may always log in to My Account to see if you have a new bill.How do I prevent my Spam filter from blocking or redirecting my monthly e-mail notifications?
How do I change the email address where I receive my bill?
- Gmail customers: Add CenterPoint Energy to your primary folder.
- AOL customers: Click on the address book in your e-mail account, enter our email address in your address book, and click Add.
- Yahoo customers: Click Not Spam to instruct your SpamGuard Plus Filter to recognize CenterPoint Energy as “good mail” instead of “bulk.” Also add CenterPoint Energy to your address book.
- Hotmail/MSN customers: Add CenterPoint Energy to your contact folder or e-mail address book so the Spam Inspector™ automatically accepts it. Classify our e-mails in Friends so they aren't blocked as Enemies. Click Not Spam if our e-mails are incorrectly classified as Spam in your bulk folder.
- Other ISP customers: Add CenterPoint Energy to your e-mail address book. If your ISP offers a Friends List, Allowed List or something similar, add our e-mails to that list.
- If you have problems receiving our paperless billing e-mail notifications, check with your e-mail administrator to make sure CenterPoint Energy e-mails are not being blocked.
It is important to keep your email address current in My Account because it is your User ID and the only way we notify you that your next bill is ready to view and pay online. If your email address changes, you can easily change it by logging in to My Account with your old email address, clicking the My Profile tab, and selecting "Edit" next to your User ID.How do I change my payment method?
Can I pay my bill online without selecting paperless billing?
Whether you choose to set up automatic payments or prefer to pay your bill online manually each month, it's easy to change your payment selection. Just follow these easy step-by-step instructions:
- Sign in to My Account
- Choose the My Profile tab, choose "Banking Information", and select "Add Bank Account", "Delete Bank Account" or "Manage Automatic Payment Settings."
Yes, you can pay your bill online and still receive a paper bill.If I'm already set up for automatic payments, can I still enroll in paperless billing?
Yes.Do I have to set up automatic payments if I pay online?
No. You can choose between automatic monthly payments, scheduling monthly payments or making an immediate payment.Can I enroll multiple accounts in paperless billing?
Yes. Customers who have more than one CenterPoint Energy account can enroll all of them in paperless billing. You’ll need to open each account and select “Go Paperless” to the right of your current bill information on your Account Details screen or change in your Preferences section.How do I de-enroll from paperless billing?
Once you have logged in to My Account, select the Preferences tab, and choose "Paper" for your billing method.
Then, beginning with your next billing date, you'll receive your paper bill in the mail.
If you are de-enrolling paperless billing because you forgot to pay your bill, did you know we now offer bill reminders by text or email? To sign up, choose a communication type for "Payment Reminder" or "Past Due Alert" on your Preferences tab.
What is My Energy Analyzer?Rebate ProgramsPrivacy and security
My Energy Analyzer is a free online tool designed to help customers better understand their natural gas bill by taking a closer look at the factors that affect monthly energy costs.
- See how your energy dollars are spent
- Learn how your natural gas costs differ from last month or last year
- Compare energy use by appliance
- Explore no-cost or low-cost solutions for lowering your energy use
- Learn how efficiency upgrades can affect your bottom line