Energy InSightSM from CenterPoint Energy is a system of automated technologies designed to transform the purchase, delivery and use of energy. CenterPoint Energy will install more than 2 million smart electric meters across Houston over the next three years. This leading edge technology will give consumers a powerful tool to not only gain insight into their energy usage but also to help them make more informed energy choices that could potentially save them money.
Smart meters will make possible a new energy future
- Remote meter reading - CenterPoint Energy can read smart meters remotely, virtually eliminating the need to go house to house to read electric meters, which means fewer trucks on the road.
- Smoother transactions - Remote connection and disconnection of electric service should reduce the time it takes to process service orders for most homes.
- Automated outage notification - Smart meters will automatically notify CenterPoint Energy about power outages to help us restore power more quickly.
- Energy efficiency and savings – Consumers will be able to monitor their electricity usage in near-real-time to better manage energy costs by making small changes such as adjusting the thermostat.
- New products and services - Retail Electric Providers, who sell electricity, can now offer new, innovative products and services.
- Home Area Networks (HAN) – Smart meters can interact with ZigBee -compatible HAN devices such as thermostats or other electric appliances so consumers can better manage their electricity use.
NOTE: Smart meters are being installed on behalf of CenterPoint Energy by employees of North Houston Pole Line. Installers, whose trucks bear the company name, should be able to provide badges identifying them as employees of North Houston Pole Line or CenterPoint Energy.