By law, business owners or contractors planning projects involving digging must call 811 at least 48 hours in advance. Free of charge, the notification center will alert utilities such as electric, gas, cable and phone companies so they can mark the location of their underground lines.
Following these simple steps can prevent an interruption of service or potential safety hazard:
- Call 811 before you dig.
- Wait the required amount of time (at least 48 hours).
- Respect the locator's marks.
- Dig with care.
For more information, visit http://www.call811.com.
Note: In the Houston area, CenterPoint Energy does not locate private electric service lines on private property. For a full explanation, click the link above or call the CenterPoint Energy locating hotline at 713-207-5463. Below are the numbers of several private locating companies:*
- Accurate Underground Exposure 281-339-1148
- Light Speed Locating 713-298-3445
- Residential Locating 713-857-2556
* CenterPoint Energy endorses no provider of this service and is in no way affiliated with any of these firms. However, in the interest of public safety and customer service, we provide customers with the names of some private locating companies.