CenterPoint Energy's smart metering system is the first step toward moving the electric grid into the digital age. Our smart meters have two-way communication capabilities to allow consumers to view their electricity usage in 15-minute increments and on demand, which can encourage them to save energy and money.
(View four-minute video: "Smart Meters Deliver Energy InSight ")
Smart meters will make possible a new energy future :
- Remote meter reading - CenterPoint Energy can read smart meters remotely, which means more privacy for residents, fewer estimated meter reads, and easy on-demand reads.
- Remote service connection/disconnection - Faster service, lower cost to consumers to move or switch retail electric providers. No more fees for move-ins or re-reads.
- Automated outage notification - Smart meters can automatically notify CenterPoint Energy about power outages to help us restore power more quickly.
- Energy efficiency and savings – Consumers can see their electric usage history at www.smartmetertexas.com to better manage energy costs by making small changes such as adjusting the thermostat.
- New products and services - Retail Electric Providers, who sell electricity, can now offer new services such as pre-paid service, “time-of-use” rates, or energy analysis tools.
- Home Area Networks (HAN) – Smart meters can interact with ZigBee -compatible HAN devices such as thermostats or other electric appliances so consumers can monitor and control them remotely.
Check with your Retail Electric Provider for more information on their smart-meter-enabled service offerings.