If you are a home builder, please visit our ENERGY STAR New Homes Program page located under the Builders and Developers Resources section.
Prospective ENERGY STAR homeowner
Energy savings are typically achieved through a combination of:
- Exterior construction upgrades;
- High-performance windows;
- Controlling the amount of air leaking out through the duct system or unsealed holes;
- Controlling the amount of air entering the home from the outside;
- Properly installed insulation;
- High-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems;
- High-efficiency water heating equipment;
- ENERGY STAR qualified clean air systems;
- High efficiency ENERGY STAR lighting fixtures; and
- ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators, clothes washers, and dish washers.
Choosing an ENERGY STAR Homebuilder
Many of the leading builders in the Houston area build ENERGY STAR qualified homes. By choosing to purchase an ENERGY STAR qualified home, you are not only investing in a high-quality home, but you are also investing in the future of Texas. Here are a few things to consider when choosing your homebuilder:
- Does the homebuilder build ENERGY STAR qualified homes?
Any home, large or small, can earn the ENERGY STAR.
- Will your homebuilder allow you to upgrade the lighting, fans and appliances to ENERGY STAR qualified products?
Your home must include at least five (5) ENERGY STAR products to qualify for the ENERGY STAR. Including additional qualified products, or specifying the Advanced Lighting Package (ALP) can contribute to even lower utility bills and increased home value.
- Does the homebuilder’s preferred lending company offer energy efficient mortgages (EEMs)?
EEMs can help you qualify for a larger home, qualify for more upgrades, or qualify for a better mortgage. The HERS rating process will calculate the monthly energy savings of your ENERGY STAR qualified home. These savings count as increased income for the underwriting process lenders use for approving your home mortgage loan.
CenterPoint Energy does not pay direct incentives to homeowners for this program.
For more information, please email our program contact at energystarhomes@CenterPointEnergy.com.
Additional Program Information
Please visit www.houstonenergystar.com to learn more information about the benefits of purchasing and ENERGY STAR home and participating builders in CenterPoint Energy’s service territory.