HOUSTON – March 29, 2012 – CenterPoint Energy and the Pecan Grove Municipal Utility District (MUD) recently partnered to promote planting the ‘Right Tree in the Right Place’ by replacing 100 trees located too close to power lines.
About 70 volunteers from CenterPoint Energy and the Fort Bend community gathered on March 24 to plant trees at a safe, appropriate distance from power lines at Pecan Grove Park. The effort is part of CenterPoint Energy’s ‘Right Tree Right Place’ campaign, encouraging Houstonians to consider the mature height of their trees before planting them near power lines.
The trees planted by the group included samples of low-growing trees suitable for planting near power lines. CenterPoint Energy also installed permanent signage depicting appropriate distances away from power lines at which trees can safely be planted.
Tree contact with power lines is the most common cause of power outages. Homeowners and others can help minimize the need for tree trimming by following these guidelines:
• Before planting trees, be aware of the location of utility lines, including those underground. To locate underground lines, call 811 at least 48 hours before you dig.
• Know the growth potential of your trees so you can plant the right tree – a low-growing, power-line-friendly species – in the right place – away from power lines.
• Do NOT try to trim trees near power lines. Serious injury or death could result. Only trained professionals authorized by CenterPoint Energy are allowed to trim or remove trees next to energized power lines.
• If you think your trees are too close to power lines, call CenterPoint Energy at 713-207-2222 to request trimming. A company representative will inspect the trees to determine if they require trimming immediately.
• Do NOT plant trees under high-voltage electric transmission towers. CenterPoint Energy will remove trees within the company’s transmission rights-of-way.
For a list of power-line-friendly species and more tree planting tips, visit CenterPointEnergy.com/trees.
CenterPoint Energy, Inc., headquartered in Houston, Texas, is a domestic energy delivery company that includes electric transmission & distribution, natural gas distribution, competitive natural gas sales and services, interstate pipelines, and field services operations. The company serves more than five million metered customers primarily in Arkansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. Assets total more than $21 billion. With over 8,800 employees, CenterPoint Energy and its predecessor companies have been in business for more than 135 years. For more information, visit the company’s website at CenterPointEnergy.com.