Get ready for summer
Checklist for keeping cool from
CenterPoint Energy's Home Service Plus® (HSP)
When the temperature heats up it's a bad time to discover your air conditioner isn’t cooling your home, and your gas grill won't cook dinner.
Central air conditioners
- Schedule a central air conditioner tune-up. Scheduling your AC tune-up before it gets hot is a good idea because when temperatures rise it's the busiest time for AC repairs. Save time and money by scheduling it with your annual furnace tune-up.
- Wash/Clean the condenser unit outdoors. Be sure to turn the power off to the unit before washing. Spray gently with a hose, being careful to not damage any fins. Let dry thoroughly before turning the power back on. Clear any obstructions from the outside unit. Clean condensate line/pump once each season. Replace condensate line as needed.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter before the cooling season. This should be done monthly, so put it on your calendar and make it a habit . High efficiency (pleated) filters can cause air flow problems when they are slightly dirty. A clean filter provides a greater degree of comfort for you and your family.
- Change the thermostat. Adjust the setting from heat to cool. Turn A/C on before cooling is needed. Leave it on at night if hot temperatures are forecasted.
- Inspect return vents. If these vents are dusty, have your duct work cleaned to ensure maximum energy efficiency and comfort. Schedule duct cleaning service today.
- Close all basement or lower level registers and open all upper level registers. If the house has zone controls, set the lower level thermostat to 80+ degrees. Keep any doors to the lower levels closed. Clear registers of any blockage by curtains, furniture, etc.
- Set humidifier damper to summer position. Turn off the water supply and humidistat to humidifier. This is an excellent time to clean the unit and ready it for winter.
- Clean the filter and drain hose annually.
- Flush condensing lines once each year with fresh water, followed by a small amount (8 ounces) of 50/50 water and bleach solution. Pour this down the hose to keep bacteria from building up.
Pre-Season grill preparation
- Turn the gas off to the grill. Remove, clean and check meat and coal grates. Clean inside surfaces of lid and grill body.
- Remove small or broken lava rock and briquettes. Remove debris above and below the burner.
- Brush the burner ports with a stiff brush and check the burner for holes or gaps.
- Check valve operation- the knob should turn on and off easily. Important: Turn gas off and open lid to the grill before checking.
- Re-install coal grate, and lava rock/briquettes. There should be only ONE LAYER of lava rock/briquettes. (Note: Too much rock will create uneven heating.)
- Fill your tank.Propane tanks on grills should weigh 35 lbs. when filled. Empty tanks weigh around 20 lbs and need to be filled at 85% level.
- Safety note: Turn gas on to the grill and light according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Set the burner knob to high for 10-15 minutes, to burn off any excess debris on the meat grates before grilling.
|Leave major repairs to the professionals! |
CenterPoint Energy's Home Service Plus service technicians are certified professionals who know how to correctly and safely repair your appliances. Our customers have access to highly trained experts and our technician help line assistance is free and available to everyone.
Call our Tech Help Line: 612-522-0000
Mon-Fri: 7:30 am to 9 pm / Sat: 8 am to 4 pm
Schedule repair service!
To schedule a service, access our online scheduling tool, or call 612-333-1664 in the metro area; toll-free 877-HSP-1664 in Greater Minnesota.